Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 12th September 2006, 07:03 PM   #1
WSguy

Default Gybing a 150 to 175 liter board.

First of all, I'ld like to know which Starboard in this class would be the easiest to gybe. Second, the reason I am inquiring would be that I'm using an old bic samba which is getting rather heavy for me to heft off the roof rack. However, it's rather easy to pivot gybe and floats me well in no wind, swell and big rig. It's just cutting gibes in this kind of wind i.e. just over the null set that puts me in the drink with smaller boards. The best solution, I know, would be to loose 50 lbs and get back to my competitive weight of my youth. However, I am curious about what Starboards has to offer to someone who wants to throw a lot of money at this problem and buy a new board.
WSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 07:15 AM   #2
kiwipole

Default RE: Gybing a 150 to 175 liter board.

Carve range should do the trick

http://www.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=2
kiwipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 02:24 PM   #3
John Kemsley

Hi

Its as easy to pivot jybe a GO as a Samba

John
Old 16th September 2006, 06:40 PM   #4
WSguy

I'm wondering what makes you think that. Do you have extensive experience with both boards? In actuality I'm currently using a Calypso as my Samba was stolen years ago.
Old 22nd September 2006, 06:04 AM   #5
Del Carpenter

To me the easier board to jibe is the one that is the most stable so I won't fall in as often. Samba's and Calypso's are long (320 cm or 10 ft 6 inches) and narrow (25 inches wide or 64 cm). I don't need any experience at all on a Samba or Calypso to know it will be easier for me to jibe any more board that is 70 cm (28 inch) wide or wider that has a length of at least 250 cm (8 ft 4 inches) and is no longer than the Samba or Calypso. The board that is wider with enough length to be stable will be easier to jibe, not necessarily faster to jibe, just easier.
Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 07:39 PM   #6
WSguy

Funny, Del, but I don't find that so true. I didn't mention that I'm trying to gybe large sails (6.6, 8.4) in light winds. Dropping down to a 6.0 makes it easier. However, I've yet to gybe my 125 liter, 8'6" board, while I can easily gybe my older Curtis 310 (130 liters) with a 6.0. With the newer wide board, I sink the tail while gybing, and it becomes rather unstable. However, I haven't tried it yet with a 6.0. I also have noticed that with the Calypso, other sailors will blow by me, but I almost always cut more gybes than they in moderate chop. The added weight of the Calypso makes it more stable.
Old 23rd September 2006, 10:01 PM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi WSguy,
Perhaps what you are experiencing has more to do with the techniques you've learned to gybe, than it does with the board you are gybing on.
Nearly all boards have a "sweet spot" where they do nice pivot and flare gybes (the position of the sweet spot changes with sailor weight however).
When you get to doing fully carving gybes, the technique must change as you are carrying more speed all the way through your gybes.
Your suggestion that an 8.4 m2 and 6.0 m2 are "large" sails is perhaps a bit antiquated. 8.5 and larger sails are "large" sails; 6.5-8.5 are "medium size" sails and 6.0 and smaller are getting into the "small" sail range.
So, to get good results on a more modern board, you are going to have to modify your techniques a bit to suit the board.
This was true back when the Calypso and Samba were the current design, and it has not changed significantly since.
You need to go out and discover where to stand on the board to get the best stability, how much to "rail" the board, how much to rake the rig over the side, and develop the timing that's specific to the board.
This is logical since each board has different rocker and rail characteristics so you as the sailor need to develop skills that suit these characteristics.
With the newer wider boards like the GO and Carve, you do not need to stop the board and sink the tail to gybe.
Just find the position on the board that keeps the board at the same pitch angle of attack (front to back trim angle here) that keeps the board planing through your gybe and you can do fully planing gybes in windspeeds that you could only pivot or flare gybe your older Calypso and Samba in. The added width and further back volume distribution support planing gybes in lighter wind conditions.
Certainly you can flare or pivot gybe the GO and Carve, but since they were designed more for light wind planing gybes, they will become unstable when you pop the nose up high.
So perhaps you need to change both the type of gybes you are doing as well as the technique to suit wider boards with more volume near the back.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 08:02 PM   #8
WSguy

Thanks, Roger, for the comments. What is a flare gybe? Actually, I really don't do a full blown pivot gybe with the old board. I do that long, large diameter type turn where often I'm sailing for a few moments clew first. Now, this would be in sub-planing light wind conditions which for me are less than 17 m.p.g. with the 8.4. When planing, my gybes are quicker and perhaps resemble the planing gybe with the old boards. However, I realize that you are right. With the new wide board I have, the adjustments have been rather obvious. I've already decided that if I want to plane in lighter winds, I will need to shell out for a bigger rig and wide board like a carve or go. However, in some ways the 8.4 seems as large a sail as I want to handle. Right now I can plane in winds at 17 m.pg. or higher with the 125 liter board. Would putting that rig on a board with 155 to 175 liters of volume reduce that threshold significantly. Futhermore, what hinders my gybing in bigger winds would be the chop I'm forced to sail in, not the speed. It may because I lack the experience, but I don't find a wide board any easier to handle in rougher waters.
Old 24th September 2006, 09:56 PM   #9
scotty

Just go Isonic 155 and 9.0 freerace sail and you'll have fun. Went out on my F-148 and 10m sail yesterday and had a blast! My windsurf buddies couldn't believe my planing in 8-12 knots!

WS Flare is the same as pivot Gybe in my book. You should join a club as you can learn many tips on modern gear, else read magazines on how to improve ones sailing ability. Otherwise time on the water is the other solution!!
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 04:27 PM   #10
John Kemsley

Hi sorryfor delay in replying, yes I owned a Samba, but have extensive experience on a Bamba (Raceboard). As Roger has said its finding the sweet spot to do a pivot jibe, practice sailing downwind then move back sinking the tail a little more each time until it becomes natural.