Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 3rd May 2008, 11:20 PM   #11
Unregistered

Default Ponder this...

Hmm, I have a mixed mindset about this one. While I think it is good for the sport to have more modern looking racing and equipment, I don't like that it will eliminate pumping. The pumping component I feel is integral to windsurfing and it is what makes Olympic windsurfers or boardsailors, if I may, true elite athletes right up there with Tri-athletes and long distance runners.

If you look at an RSX sailor, they are a prime specimen, everything a human ought to be; tall, lean, fit, smart and an uncanny elite aerobic capacity coupled with great strength. Is this not what the Olympics supposed to be? the best of ELITE athletes? As opposed to the best technology available to make a sport easy. If the latter were the case, runners would be wearing rollerblades, cyclists would ride motorcycles and high jumpers would be launching off trampolines.

To eliminate pumping while perhaps beneficial from a visual standpoint would completely remove the athlete component from the sport. Then we would just a bunch of sailors with Homer Simpson-esque physiques who were good just because they were fast, and fast just because they were heavy.

The notion that switching to one design would make it better for the athletes in so far as that they would not get injured and there would be less stress on the body, is really quite absurd. It's not supposed to be easy!!! That's why its in the Olympics, it's for the Elite. You don't expect your average recreational cyclist to be able to go battle it out on the hills with Lance Armstrong. Why should it be any different here?

Another absurdity; wanting to make the Olympic discipline more accessible to a variety of body shapes and sizes. Come on! I'm too tall to be a jockey, too short to be long jumper. I'm not going to go cry about it and try get them to change the rules to suit me now am I?

Are you too big for Mistral/RSX? (This also probably means you are too big to be good at other elite sports like iron man, tri, running and cycling too) That is what they invented Formula for!

The most comical thing about all of this is that they actually believe that by removing pumping it will make the racing more tactical. Are you kidding? Racing on an RSX is most tactical in the light, every 3 degree wind shift counts and strategic board placement is paramount. This FOD will not make racing more tactical, it will make it more like Formula: Start-tack-top mark-gybe set-Finish.

Since when was the Olympic sailing been about using the most advanced equipment anyway? You can't honestly tell me that 470ss, Ynglings, Stars, 49ers, and Lasers represent the worlds most advanced technology when it comes to Double-handed Dinghies, Single-handed Dinghies, Skiffs, and Keel Boats. Infact with the recent removal of the Tornado it would appear that there is a movement in quite the opposite direction. Why? Because its about the sailors, the athletes themselves and not their equipment.

Don't get me wrong, I hate every moment I have to spend looking at my RSX. It's heavy, expensive, and unreliable. Buying RSX equipment is like paying taxes, you don't want to throw half your earnings away but you have to. However, it does its job, it performs its function and works in that crucial 0-6 knot range. As a side note, does anyone actually thin that 100 FOD sailors will be planning off a start line together. No. Im sure they can go upwind in clear air but to do so in among traffic is questionable.

All of this aside I do think what Starboard is doing is a good thing and they are definitely the best people for the job with, thus far, the best proposal. I just think perhaps a better hybrid or even reverting back to a longboard (albeit a more modern one that the IMCO) is the way to go.

I'm sure you will all have a field day with this post. Glad I could entertain. Enjoy.
Old 3rd May 2008, 11:21 PM   #12
Unregistered

Default Ponder this...

Hmm, I have a mixed mindset about this one. While I think it is good for the sport to have more modern looking racing and equipment, I don't like that it will eliminate pumping. The pumping component I feel is integral to windsurfing and it is what makes Olympic windsurfers or boardsailors, if I may, true elite athletes right up there with Tri-athletes and long distance runners.

If you look at an RSX sailor, they are a prime specimen, everything a human ought to be; tall, lean, fit, smart and an uncanny elite aerobic capacity coupled with great strength. Is this not what the Olympics supposed to be? the best of ELITE athletes? As opposed to the best technology available to make a sport easy. If the latter were the case, runners would be wearing rollerblades, cyclists would ride motorcycles and high jumpers would be launching off trampolines.

To eliminate pumping while perhaps beneficial from a visual standpoint would completely remove the athlete component from the sport. Then we would just a bunch of sailors with Homer Simpson-esque physiques who were good just because they were fast, and fast just because they were heavy.

The notion that switching to one design would make it better for the athletes in so far as that they would not get injured and there would be less stress on the body, is really quite absurd. It's not supposed to be easy!!! That's why its in the Olympics, it's for the Elite. You don't expect your average recreational cyclist to be able to go battle it out on the hills with Lance Armstrong. Why should it be any different here?

Another absurdity; wanting to make the Olympic discipline more accessible to a variety of body shapes and sizes. Come on! I'm too tall to be a jockey, too short to be long jumper. I'm not going to go cry about it and try get them to change the rules to suit me now am I?

Are you too big for Mistral/RSX? (This also probably means you are too big to be good at other elite sports like iron man, tri, running and cycling too) That is what they invented Formula for!

The most comical thing about all of this is that they actually believe that by removing pumping it will make the racing more tactical. Are you kidding? Racing on an RSX is most tactical in the light, every 3 degree wind shift counts and strategic board placement is paramount. This FOD will not make racing more tactical, it will make it more like Formula: Start-tack-top mark-gybe set-Finish.

Since when was the Olympic sailing been about using the most advanced equipment anyway? You can't honestly tell me that 470ss, Ynglings, Stars, 49ers, and Lasers represent the worlds most advanced technology when it comes to Double-handed Dinghies, Single-handed Dinghies, Skiffs, and Keel Boats. Infact with the recent removal of the Tornado it would appear that there is a movement in quite the opposite direction. Why? Because its about the sailors, the athletes themselves and not their equipment.

Don't get me wrong, I hate every moment I have to spend looking at my RSX. It's heavy, expensive, and unreliable. Buying RSX equipment is like paying taxes, you don't want to throw half your earnings away but you have to. However, it does its job, it performs its function and works in that crucial 0-6 knot range. As a side note, does anyone actually thin that 100 FOD sailors will be planning off a start line together. No. Im sure they can go upwind in clear air but to do so in among traffic is questionable.

All of this aside I do think what Starboard is doing is a good thing and they are definitely the best people for the job with, thus far, the best proposal. I just think perhaps a better hybrid or even reverting back to a longboard (albeit a more modern one that the IMCO) is the way to go.

I'm sure you will all have a field day with this post. Glad I could entertain. Enjoy.

RSX Sailor
Old 4th May 2008, 12:45 AM   #13
Screamer

Poster #11

So the intention was to entertain you say?

I think there's a lot of debatable stuff in that *board proposal, there's a lot to argue.

But ... your attitude is something special really. Now ponder this:

"If you look at an RSX sailor, they are a prime specimen, everything a human ought to be; tall, lean, fit, smart and an uncanny elite aerobic capacity coupled with great strength...the best of ELITE....

RSX sailor"

We're grateful superhumans share this forum with us.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 01:07 AM   #14
steveC

RSX Sailor,

I don't think that Starboard's proposal eliminates pumping, but rather, with a starting windspeed of 6 knots, the need for pumping is less necessary. I think establishing a realistic lower limit windspeed for racing makes real sense because elevating Olympic windsurfing to a planing sport better corresponds to what windsurfing truly is for the majority of windsurfers in the world.

I think that an emphasis on trying to race in no wind, and using pumping as a crutch to make it even possible, literally takes the heart out of the sport. I think that the idea of the steely, tough as nails athlete that can pump their way through the whole race as being the windsurfing ideal is way off the mark. If that model was the paramount focus of Olympic windsurfing, an argument would follow that harnesses should not be permitted.

There are already many disciplines in the Summer Olympics where incredible physical strength, endurance and athletic ability are the cornerstone for success. On the other hand, there are many other disciplines that don't rely on that model in the same terms, because often success depends on a different mix of abilities and strengths. In my opinion, I feel that windsurfing should fall in this latter arena, and I wholeheartedly welcome a focus on planing and tactical sailing performance.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 03:47 AM   #15
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
I welcome a focus on planing and tactical sailing performance.
But actually tactical sailing is to the fore in non planning racing.

RSX sailors.....everything a human should be. Except modest :-)
Old 5th May 2008, 07:04 AM   #16
Unregistered

I don't understand.

How can Starboard get it so wrong.

A Formula One Design will be the death of windsurfing at the Olympics. Full Stop.
Old 5th May 2008, 07:29 AM   #17
FormulaNut

Smile

Dear unregistered

Have you competed in Formula racing?

To Starboard:
Must applaud Starboard for stepping forward and promoting a windsurfing package for the Olympics that reflects modern windsurfing.

To Formula Organistaion:
Hopefully the formula organisation can step forward and promote the 1:3:3 format as the Olympic windsurfing package. What is the harm in trying!!?!
Why not try 1 board:3 sails:1 fin

Formula Nut
Old 5th May 2008, 08:59 AM   #18
James

I agree with SteveC on this one. I respect the athleticism of RSX sailors but I think the extreme pumping required discourages some of the most talented sailors from choosing to campaign in the windsurfing class as opposed to the other sailing classes. Also, it sort of alienates and differentiates the Olympic windsurfing class from "normal" windsurfing competition. There's a definite divide between Olympic style windsurfing and other high levels of windsurfing competition. FOD could narrow that divide, to the benefit of both Olympic windsurfing and professional formula racing.

US women's olympic hopeful Farrah Hall recently weighed in on the FOD issue on her website:

http://www.farrah-hall.com/index.php...Itemid=21&p=28

Last edited by James; 5th May 2008 at 12:36 PM.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 11:38 AM   #19
Unregistered

Default Is this proposal too late?

When does ISAF meet to vote on this???

cause I taught they already voted on the 2012 classes when they kicked out the Tornado!
Old 5th May 2008, 01:50 PM   #20
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
When does ISAF meet to vote on this???

cause I taught they already voted on the 2012 classes when they kicked out the Tornado!
The last ISAF vote was to secure what disciplines are to be in 2012 games.
the actual sailing classes will be decided this november
sb