Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 6th May 2008, 02:35 AM   #31
James

Another benefit I see of having an Olympic OD class that is similar to a popular, real-world racing class is that it would facilitate training and high-level competition. Olympic FOD sailors could race reasonably competitively in mixed fleet Formula and FE events, which would help out with sponsorship and travel and stuff.

Of course, having a good longboard raceboard as the Olympic OD would have similar benefits; riders could enter raceboard class events on their Olympic gear. (Some still do it on their mistral one-designs and even place fairly well.)

The problem with the RSX is that it's just not enough like any of the popular existing windsurf racing classes to evenly compete with them. It sort of needs a whole, separate system, and I think that stretches the already-small worldwide pool of windsurf racers a little too thin.

In summary- IMHO, either raceboard or formula would be better for the Olympics than RSX / Hybrid.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 04:31 AM   #32
ingcur

Default Yes to FOD, 2 cents from the Caribbean

I've been a racer a long time. Started out on longboards, moved to course race shortboards, then to IMCO, while also trying to be competitive in slalom.
Never really liked the IMCO, so when the whole daggerboard+casing broke out on a backloop attempt, I stored it and have no idea where the damn thing is today.
I stopped courseracing when formula came out because it wasn't an olympic class and I was not competitive racing course race shortboards. I considered RSX a couple of years back, but that thing is an abomination. 18+ KG? Come on.
Everyone I've talked to was put off by its performance. And me, I would only have to
train on it for the competitions. Doing a long downwinder + upwinder just for fun would
never come to mind.
So I considered the price and the current price my kidney will get me on the black market
and didn't buy it.
Formula on the other hand, would just be fun. Not only would I enjoy training on it, but I can imagine sailing on it just for fun.

Based on these experiences I can see *boards feeder class idea work. I think there
are plenty of people who have an Olympic dream. Not just making it to the Olympics,
but the whole idea of working harder then the other guys and make it against all odds.
I could never find myself in this dream doing an activity that I did not truly love. And to me
RSX is not windsurfing... it's a form of sailing. And as for the perfect specimen argument
of an RSX Racer... Trust me if FOD will come to be as I really hope, the FOD racers will
come to embody that same argument. That's what the Olympics, imho, bring out in people.
The honor of representing your country and working 200% in order to beat the others
who are also working 200%.

So let the Olympics be a reflection of our sport, the sensation of windsurfing which got us hooked to this sport.

As far as the 6knots argument goes... I've sailed IMCO youth Championship in Greece.
90% of the competition there was no wind, not a bit nothing. It took me a couple of
hours to get from the finish back because I refused to paddle (never swam back before without breaking kit). I was passed by the
entire women fleet who paddled passed us after finishing.
If taking the risk on FOD means we'll might have to fight it out with one foot in front of
the mast, then so be it. The spirit of the fight will be the same...

FYI/+OT I never completed a backloop on IMCO and the daggerboard case breaking out
was is due not bad construction, that thing is not made for it. I was just a kid and stupid, I have to pay for my own gear these days, and one day my kid will do the same to me to redeem me from my sin.
Old 6th May 2008, 05:22 AM   #33
Unregistered

If Curtis lifter type fin was an option then if a race had partial non planning the race wouldn't have to be abandoned.
Old 6th May 2008, 07:21 AM   #34
James

Yeah, I think if FOD get their foot in the door with the 1 sail / 1 fin thing, then maybe they can negotiate a 2 sail / 2 fin option. That would make the 6 - 25 knots range a lot more realistic IMHO.

As is, I have a hard time picturing how an individual who could plane with an 11.0 and 70 cm fin in 6 knots could hold down that same sail and fin in 25 knots. He would definitely have to be an Olympian to do it.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 07:45 AM   #35
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

I think this could really change peoples views on racing. No longer do you need tons of gear to race. One sail, one board, one fin will bring more recreational sailors into racing. I like the idea. Brings racing to the not as rich/not sponsored riders who can't afford all the new kit. It also makes it easier for younger people like me to get into it. Its hard enough affording used gear for younger people without a solid job (or anyone without a solid job for that matter.

My two cents,

Thomas
www.tdaggws.blogspot.com
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 08:51 AM   #36
Unregistered

Default RSX order now cancelled

I hate this
I need some rsx replacement parts but why bother until november when ISAF chooses.

Question,
Is the 162 currently being sold exactly the same as the proposed olympic 162?
Old 6th May 2008, 09:10 AM   #37
Unregistered

Default Proposed Olympic class is 162 or Apollo??

This is from the Starboard website

Project Apollo: With the new two year registration period, the Formula Windsufing class aims to grow stronger, more stable and more popular. Its goal is to become a fantastic candidate as the new 2012 Windsurfing Olympic class. Summary:
Apollo: designed to help Formula Windsurfing become the 2012 Windsurfing Olympic class
Apollo: The World's Earliest Planing Board
Old 6th May 2008, 09:46 AM   #38
Unregistered

Default Apollo or 162

Despite what the formula/overview page says. I think the intention from StarBoard is to put forward the 162 model.

Can SB clears this up?
Old 6th May 2008, 09:53 PM   #39
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi James,

The sail have be chosen to fit the wind Range 6 to 25 knots. This have proven that it's works for racers under 80 kgs for the 11mē and 9,5 for women under 65 kgs. And we choose a fin from Deboichet Custom who fit also the same wind condition. Yes that will be less faster than the Formula Windsurfing equipment who will choose the perfect sail and fin for a short wind range, but in this case, we focus on wide wind range.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 10:30 PM   #40
sergio k

I'm all for FOD format proposal, considering it HAS to be one design, and
if new alum. boom proves itself durable. General trend I see,
being aroung Pro-AM races in Miami area, although racers have more than one fin/sail, more are choosing just one sail/one fin combo, avg. sail 11 m2 and fin 70 super soft,
so SB proposal rings truth.