Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 23rd June 2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Jan W

Screamer thanks for your quick answer.The problem is that my other sail is a Saber 6.2
and I think thats too small for a satisfying result.The best way is to try.I have experience with the Saber in combination with the Isonic and the Kombat 86l. I change boards because the ride on the Isonic goes too fast and I miss the courage to go down wind in indeed ugly chop.Maybe you can advice in a other question on behavior
between Isonic versus Kombat (105-106).The problem is that I doubt in choosing which
volume is the best for me.I have to decide in a few days.Please answer.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 07:19 PM   #12
Screamer

Jan

I'm not a team member here, I just thought I could offer some help.
Now I see you're asking about volume too.
1. How heavy are you?
2. What other sails do you want to use below 6.2 and above 7.0? These two are too close imho. Cambered 7.0 will easily cover 6.2 top end, but the difference of course is in handling, and if you want them for different boards/different purposes, then OK.
3. Are you going to dump iSonic or are you keeping it? You may miss its fast ride on flatter water.
4. What is the wind strength when you have trouble in heavy chop? Some people will advise "grit your teeth and go for it/balls of steel, etc", but not everyone wants a hair-raising ride of iSonic in swell and chop. Kombat will always be more manageable/tame/softer ride in ugly conditions.

Bye

Edit: Now when I re-read your post, its seems that you need 7-7.5 sail on a Kombat. Is it true, that in 7.5 conditions you get unmanageable water state?

Last edited by Screamer; 23rd June 2008 at 07:26 PM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 12:48 AM   #13
Jan W

Hi Screamer. At first thanks for your help. I keep the Isonic.My weight is 82 kg.I use a 7.0 and 8.0 V8 for the Isonic.Sometimes also the 6.2 before I had my knee operation.Now I have allready problems with the chop with the 7.0 in 16-20 knots.Normally I change the Isonic for the 86l Kombat when I use the 6.2 Saber.I thought that the 106 l is a better intermediate than a 96l Kombat.Other sails are: 5.4 , 5.0 and 4.7.Give me your advice.Thanks and Bye
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 04:04 AM   #14
Screamer

I don't know, iS105 + K86 looks just about perfect combo to me. If you absolutely need a larger Kombat then 106 for sure.

Good luck
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote