Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 26th May 2008, 04:32 PM   #1
marek

Question Windsurfing startup idea?

Hi Roger and all,

I have a different kind of question today.
Do you think there is any space in the windsurfing business for a new startup company, possibly online based?

I'm thinking about starting something up in addition to my regular job and I'd love to do something related to windsurfing or snowboarding.

Unfortunately I am not living anywhere near the top WS spots in my country, so an online type of business is my only option.
I'm not an expert either and I can't teach people.

So what is left is selling gear (not really an option due to a small market and high competition) or perhaps selling instructional materials, like DVDs and books - but I'm not sure this is good idea, since WS is a niche sport + how many people would actually need these materials...

Anyhow I would love to know your opinion.
Thanks,

-marek
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 08:44 PM   #2
crazychemical

if you, as a supplier could offor the clients something interesting like specialized outlet or something for a reasonable price with good deals on transport then you have a shot. I mean, take fins for example, in most stores u can only find the newest fin models which, for slalom/speed/formula gear will cost you around 120 €/140$ ... and even though fin technology moves on every year, a recreational surfer with a small budget could do equally well with a 2004 fin rather then with a 2008 fin of the same type/model.
Though, for boards and sails you'd probably have to offer your clients something else i think, seeing as most stores sell their overyear gear for interesting prices aswell.

good luck and let us know okay

cheers
Old 27th May 2008, 06:31 PM   #3
marek

Hi and thanks for your input - I'll think about it.

In the meantime - what do you think about reselling this toy: http://www.aquaglide.net/multisport_features.cfm

Any other thoughts highly appreciated!

-marek
Old 27th May 2008, 09:05 PM   #4
crazychemical

aaah yes the aquaglide ... it looks like fun, but is it? For a windsurfer i think it'll be an absolute bore! But perhaps, if it's not too expensive, ambitious waterrat dads with equally watercravents kids wouldn't mind buying it to take with them on their way too hot holiday in their windless counries.
Old 28th May 2008, 04:53 AM   #5
marek

From what I know the retailers sell it for ~ 500 USD.

As a windsurfer Aquaglide it's kinda pointless for me except the very first steps, but as a small sailboat it should be more fun.

I was recently sailing recreational Hobbie Cats for 2 weeks in a resort and it would be fun if I wasn't thinking what could I achieve on my 7.5 sail over there . But for other people it surely was fun - to Cats were booked all the time.
(I know - Hobbie Cat is a different story than this inflatable).

-marek