Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th June 2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Russell

Default Why only 1 board for olympics

Windsurfing is a sport like sailing it has many different disciplines.

In the olympics sailing has a range of boats to represent the sport.

So why can't windsurfing have the same.

For sure Starboard have the range of boards. eg.. Serenity( Americas Cup style ), Phantom Race for triangle style racing and formula for pure speed.

Why not.......

Russell
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 06:16 PM   #2
RobSwift

We're lucky that it is included as a sailing event.
RobSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Unregistered

Because there is just a limited number of medals for all sailing sports in Olympics.

Windsurfing i guess have 2 medalls asigend, and they are given to RSX men (one) and RSX women (the other).

Supposing we want to include Serenity sailing or Freestyling or Slalom, we need to have more medals to give...and that will mean to find 2 medals of ISAF for this. Asumming the number of medals for "sailing sports" is limited, we need to find the way to take medals from other sailing spots to add them to windsurfing. I see that difficult because Olympics try to have most represantive sports in Olympics.

Yes, its possible, but also its difficult and other sailing sports can consider also to have those medals asigned to other sailing sports waiting for medals to be considered Olympic sports.

Best regards,
Ricardo Guglielmino
Old 23rd June 2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Unregistered

Why worry about windsurfing at the Olympics at all, it does nothing for the sport. Why should such a minority sport be in it? I hate to say it but when there were longboards i.e IMCO there were big fleets numbers world wide and therefore a justified Olympic class. I loved my IMCO once, now I'm into slalom on those windy days.

If your idea worked Russell then there might be some hope for WS at the Olympics, however I fear the ISAF is nearly null & void or IS-A-Farse.
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:07 PM   #5
sergio k

having multi medal windsurfing events at the olimpics is out of the dream world, we're
we are a small sport, what would be ideal for couse racing is to actually use a real class,
that's established and works, to participate in olimpics, and not one design, one manufacturer, instead of FOD , have just FW,
just like in other sports like skii, biking, etc... where compatitors free to choose any
brand
Old 24th June 2008, 12:12 AM   #6
Ken

I like what Sergio says, but we are dealing with "sailing" and the Olympics. While I don't know about all of the Olympic sailing classes, I am guessing that they are ALL one design. If this is true, there is no way they will allow windsurfing to go to a class like Formula with multiple manufacturers. It's just not consistant with the other sailing classes.

While the value of Olympic windsurfing for the rest of the windsurfing world may not be great, it doesn't hurt. If it wasn't there, then what? Would we be better off? We are lucky to be involved at all, so why not take advantage where we can.

I think we do what we are doing, try to come up with something that the ISAF will buy into and also makes sense for the rest of the world wide windsurfing community. A difficult challenge at best.

Last edited by Ken; 24th June 2008 at 02:47 AM.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 02:20 AM   #7
Unregistered

Only Laser/Radial and RSX are really ONE DESIGN . The others are BOX RULE classes, more than one brand produces the boats.
Star have Lilia, Mader etc etc etc.
470, Yingling, Tornado, Finn all have more than one boat builder too. The same with sails, you can use whatever sail brand you want to, except those classes.
I agree when Sergio says that Olympics do nothing for the sport and I don't think windsurfing needs to be at Olympics at all.
Old 24th June 2008, 02:49 AM   #8
Ken

Thanks for the info. on the Olympic sailing classes.

It's hard to imagine Starboard, Mistral, etc. all building an Olympic class board to the same specs. However, I guess if they all used the Cobra factory, it could be done, All they have to do is agree on the board design.

Sails would be another issue. I think they would have to use one company.

I agree that the Olympics don't need windsurfing, but for the windsurfers that want to chase the "Olympic dream", why not? If Formula became the Olympic class, I do think you would see a lot more formula windsurfing around the world. The Mistral One Design certainly had an impact world wide when it was the Olympic class board, it just became too old and outdated.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 02:55 AM   #9
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Only Laser/Radial and RSX are really ONE DESIGN . The others are BOX RULE classes, more than one brand produces the boats.
Star have Lilia, Mader etc etc etc.
470, Yingling, Tornado, Finn all have more than one boat builder too. The same with sails, you can use whatever sail brand you want to, except those classes.
I agree when Sergio says that Olympics do nothing for the sport and I don't think windsurfing needs to be at Olympics at all.
I never wrote 'that Olympics do nothing for the sport ', I think we get some visibility
and respect from general public, and I'll take it over 'nothing', we need to grow our sport;
But we would get so much more bang for the buck if we have real class like FW,
FOD is a step in the right direction-but still a big compromise...
Old 24th June 2008, 06:05 AM   #10
Unregistered

Ken,
With the Formula Windsurfing concept they already do this. Box Rule means that you have some limits in lenght, width, weight, etc, and you have to produce a boat (or a board) inside this limits.
Star boats and all the other box rule Olympic classes don't have the same specs, acttualy some guys are developing boats specificaally for the very light wind conditions they expect in China. You have also sails for light, medium and strong winds in all those box rule classes, those sails must be inside the rule limit.
Basically is almost the same with FW, you have F2, Exocet, Starboard, Mike's Lab, etc producing boards inside the FW limits, and have 3 rigs from any brand you want inside the rule.
Sergio,
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Unregistered said that the Olympics do nothing for the sport.