Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 23rd September 2006, 11:58 PM   #1
ned_321

Default Finsize for speedsurfing with Sonic 95 (2006)

I have recently bought a Sonic 95 (2006 closesout) for speedsurfing with medium winds. The stock fin supplied with it is a 32 cm Drake / Deboichet.

I suppose the stock fin is optimized for medium windrange of this board, and for figure-8 slalom. For speedsurfing getting onto the plane and upwind is less relevant. I want minimum resistance.

OTOH; there is a minimum finsize for each board. Smaller, and you don't get faster. The boards doesn't unwet enough, doesn't run high enough.

What is the minimum finsize for the Sonic 95; i.c.w. 5.5-6.5 racesails?
30 cm? 28 cm?
ned_321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots
Default RE: Finsize for speedsurfing with Sonic 95 (2006)

It depends on your weight.

I would use a 28 drake slalom pro. I weight 80kg.

I used the 28 drake slalom pro under my isonic 105 but it is bit small. I have just bought a 30 drake slalom pro and will test it very soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Starboard iSonic woodcarbon 107, iSonic speed special W54, iSonic speed special W44
Sonntag Fins
Severne Reflex Sails
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 05:15 PM   #3
ned_321

My weight is 88 kgs.

http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/gps.asp?mnu=user&smnu=sessions&val=784&uid=81
ned_321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 01:31 AM   #4
geo

Ned,

I have a Sonic 95 too and have used it this Spring and Summer. My smallest fin is a Deboichet SL2 30, and I use it when my TR-2 6,6 is well powered up with no problems at all in chop and windswell; in perfectly flat water such as in "speed" conditions, a smaller fin would probably be OK.
IMHO, the (original) SL2 32 feels slightly smaller when compared with the stock (licensed) Drake Pro 32. I think that a 28 SL2 would work nicely with well powered up sails around 6,0, and therefore also a Drake Pro of that size would. Point is that IMHO the Drake Pro is definitely NOT a good "speed" fin, and most of its peculiar advantages that show in messy conditions are unused when sailing on flat water.

My feeling about the Sonic 95, after this season, is that it is a plenty controllable board that would have no problem when maxed out with a smaller sail (= more wind) than the 6,6 I use as "small" sail with it; and a 6,0 on flat water (no chop!) would be nicely coupled by a 26-28 fin for speed, depending on design. By sure a fin with a thin point, like an SR6b or Techtonics Goldwing or a classic elliptical, would feel smaller than fins with trapeze outlines like the SL2s or Drake Pros.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote