Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd May 2008, 03:58 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default come in freestylers

Curious about a bunch of aspects of this discipline of the sport. Just getting into it for real now (just bought a freestyle 99L board) but I will keep my questions brief.

1. Fins
What is the best type of fin to use when cutting them down? A wave fin? A freeride fin? A race fin? I am thinking of stiffness here (I'm cutting it down to somewhere between 18-20 cm)

2. Harness Lines
I notice a lot of freestylers have SUPER long lines. Is this important (aid early planing with a small fin etc)?

3. Rigging
Anything else that I should consider when rigging? I guess downhaul and a lot of outhaul is important for tricks involving sail handling. It is more, where should the mast track be on freestyle boards, should boom height always be at the top of the cutout etc.

Any answer to any question would be appreciated! Also if you have any advice at all for freestyle let me know.

Thanks,

Thomas
www.tdaggws.blogspot.com
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:30 AM   #2
jonthesailorman

yo tdagg! I aint no pro but I do have my freestyle kit dialed in and squared away I think anyway...

1. old formula fins make great freestly fins when done right. If not that, just use what ever fin you have laying around w/ the same box type that you'd be willingto sacrifice for the cause. When picking a fin however try to avoid fins with a super wide base. I might be wrong on this, but i've found that if a fin is to wide when cut down, it feels really slow and draggy.
2. having long harness lines helps out almost everything. Its not for early plaining though, if you want that pump! You'll need to sharpen up thoes pumping skills for freestyle, especialy w/ micro fins. The longer harness lines alow you to lean farther forward over the board more and off of the fin when going up wind. When going broad, it lets you keep the sail more up right.
2. Depends on the conditions. in marginal/ gusty wind go with power over anything to make the most out of it. If powered then go ahead and crank on things. You'll want to rig the sail so that it will balance easily everytime however. Ovoid too much outhaul as this makes the sail feel vary twichy. I tune my sails so they feel stable with power, but so that neutrelize easily without to much back hand pressure either. For mast base settings i'm still getting a feel for, but I do know this bit. If set alittle forward you gain a bit more arial control. I just put mine in the middle because thats how they are tested in R&D. If you are using a sail that is samller than the recomended sail range then put it a little farther back if you want. What can happen is that a smaller sails draft might be set to far forward for comfort, making the sail like its pulling offset from your stance. Its a preference thing mostly though.

When going for moves sail in waist deep water to save energy, and limit your sailing area. Make yourself start at one spot every time, plane out as fast as you can, get up to speed, and pop your move. No matter the out come turn around and go back to where you started and get ready to do it again. Don't go for the super hard moves every time either. start doing trick gybes and tacks. Do 360s of every kind. Try jumping over to the lee side of the sail on a full plane! Try sitting down on your board full plane! Get your heli tacks down like a pro. Throw a shaka into everything for more style points. Smile! The more freestyle you do, the more fun you have. So just go out there and do it no matter the wind!

Good winds
Jon
Old 22nd May 2008, 05:23 PM   #3
pierrec45

I'm even less of a pro, but if may add...

- try a given trick a few times, say 5, but don't spend your whole day on it. I find it best when I try a few times, take a breather, think about it, go try something else, then come back to it. For some reason, the learning is faster, and when you come back to it, sometimes you've improved just like that, for no reason.

- make sure you have moves on both tacks. There are sailors who can freestyle only "one way". That's too limited. Not all moves have to happen both sides, in fact I don't believe it's possible to be fully proficient both ways. At least keep the easy ones for your "weak" side, i.e. duck tack, heli tack, fancy gybes, board 360, etc.

- I agree with the man above: practicing in shallow waters makes everything easier. Unfortunately it also makes one lazy. Make sure you can still go out afar and do the same tricks.

- underpowered better than overpowered. When in doubt, use smaller a sail. You need control and pumping, not speed.

- boom height: this is important. Experiment, see what's good for you, but don't just use one height for the rest of your freestyle career without at least trying around. IMO: there are way too high booms out there for freestyle...

- I personally never go walkabout for miles. If you don't feel like freestyling and want a rest, then go do agressive gybes and tacks every few hundred yards. Your general freestyle will improve from those kind of sessions, in my experience.

- don't be a snub with wind: too many sailors out there think that they're too good for lighter winds. I'm not, you ain't, nobody is. There's always something to learn, and balance is always exercised is all conditions, that will be improved when the wind picks up. You don't have the choice here anyways - wind in Kingston is getting flakier every year...

- lighter wind freestyle: you've seen videos on the Tube of that kind of freestyle. Consider strongly doing it. Again, in Kingston... Plus it's good overall for your shortie skills as well, me reckon anyways.

- teach other people and newbies. You get advice from people around you, so you the sport now...

All the best.
pierrec45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:18 PM   #4
windsurferdagg

thanks a lot guys. I was actually just in Kingston on victoria day pierrec45. If you are talking about Kingston, ontario. Sailed Emily street with a fellow ottawa guy and glen, fish and craig.

That is what freestyle has been lately for me. Lightwinding, going out on the hypersonic (my other board is 80L) and practicing heli tack after heli tack and upwind 360 after upwind 360. My freestyle board should be arriving today. If I have any more questions once I get out on it, I will let both of you guys know.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Thomas
www.tdaggws.blogspot.com
Old 24th May 2008, 02:03 AM   #5
pierrec45

> Sailed Emily street
> That is what freestyle has been lately for me. Lightwinding
> practicing heli tack after heli tack and upwind 360 after upwind 360

Get used to it - Kingston flaky nowadays, basically what Toronto has been forever now.

At least no reason for those moves above not to be done both tacks now - again, this is important. Else you end up gecko-ing on the way out, and not doing much on the way in. Uncouth.

Other possibilities for you would be having a board to freestyle Bonaire-like (Starboard-type boards, med-winds), plenty of examples on YouTube.

Or longer board old-school freestyling, as in: http://www.knowledge.lbwindsurfing.c...ard-freestyle/

Either will give you more time out, keep you in shape, and work on your balance and skills. The latter is esp. inexpensive: any old banged-up, or Kona, or used Starboard will do.

Cheers mate,
P.
pierrec45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 09:19 PM   #6
windsurferdagg

I got the lucky chance to get on my new board hours after it arrived on friday afternoon and then also saterday afternoon.

From what I can tell, I love the feel of freestyle boards. Even with a huge 26 cm fin with my 5.8, I love it.

I was trying different simple freestyle tricks with minimum sucess. Most of my efforts were trying to get the board around fully for the jump jibe.

Quick question. What initiates the rotation for a vulcan? Do you subtly carve downwind first and that throws the board around? OR do you sheet in hard and that pressure helps helps turn the board around.

Thanks,
Thomas
www.tdaggws.blogspot.com
Old 17th June 2008, 03:34 PM   #7
yolen

move your hand all the way up to the mast and over your shoulder. Aim to stick the nose of the board in the water
Old 18th June 2008, 09:33 PM   #8
jonthesailorman

heres a good online technique page that you might find usefull. check out the vulcans and such.

http://www.guycribb.com/windsurfing_...VD_0076v01.htm
Old 19th June 2008, 06:39 PM   #9
RobSwift

Smile

Great thread. I agree with everyone!!!
RobSwift is offline   Reply With Quote