Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th July 2008, 07:02 PM   #41
C249

Is that the SailQuick who raced with the "tossers" at a yacht club (GLYC) at Easter? Did you call them "tossers" to their face?

If they are "tossers" why do they achieve so much for their sport in terms of numbers of competitors, sailors and juniors?

Do you feel it's okay to use volunteers to run events you sail in, and then abuse them with a term like "tossers"?

If you are that Sail Quik, how did it feel to be beaten by ancient One Designs in a strong-wind race when you were using your fast gear?

If a board can beat your fast gear around the course in 20-30 knots, how can you say it's not "windsurfing"?

In fact, how can any logical person claim that light-wind sailing, which is the activity that was first called "windsurfing" and that created the sport of windsurfing, is not windsurfing?
Old 8th July 2008, 07:15 PM   #42
C249

Just to make it clear; I love windsurfing, which has been a big part of my life for many years. Formula, slalom, freestyle, waves, racing, they are all incredible.

But the sheer mind-blowing arrogance and sneering superiority complex of some of the posters around here makes me ashamed, in some ways, to be part of this sport.....no, actually I'm annoyed at the "me too" guys who wandered in, after the sport was well and truly created, and then started to apply their own narrow-minded restrictive attitudes, and have the sheer hide to try to rename a whole sport to suit their own limited vision. This sport used to have an Aloha spirit that encompassed everyone..... that's largely gone and its lack is hurting the sport.

In this thread, many people have thrown barbs at the boat and other sailors, accusing them of some cliche'd attitudes. God knows where these people get these ideas from - it seem that their concept of boat sailors comes from Caddyshack, which is probably the most intellectual piece of media they have ever been exposed to.

In fact, these "tossers" are out there making carbon-fibre foilers and other brilliant devices in their backyards. They allow a wide choice, from strict one designs (for those who want true sailor-on-sailor competition without taking the easy way out by buying an advantage) to classes that are much more open to experimentation than any windsurfer class. There are guys out there on boats who are making and designing 7kg carbon hydrofoiling hulls in their backyards. They don't get scared by people who dare to have different tastes and abilities.

If the boat guys were such idiots, they wouldn't attract so many thousands of young kids....it's the boat guys and OD guys who attract fleets of hundreds, it's the other guys who get a derisory 20 or so to a "worlds". Guess what, the kids have voted, you've lost.

But of course, facts like that don't bother the empty heads of those who would rather pop up an empty cliche for them to abuse, because it inflates their own superiority.

Is it too scary for some people to respect those who enjoy sailing on the water in other ways?

For heaven's sake, can't we have some respect for our fellow sailors, no matter what they sail?
Old 8th July 2008, 08:14 PM   #43
pierrec45

Hu oh, we got CT cranked up now...

Regarding SailQuick's post:

> have no resemblence to windsurfing

What do you mean, you want the Olympics to be about guys driving in with the trailer-quiver, one sail size for each knot? That's the modern approach to windsurfing, you're right. Personally, I find it closer to a Tupperware party than Olympics.

> require great skill from the competitors to use

You're absolutely right there too. Any one-design class or restricted class in terms of sails allowed are very, very demanding. None of that "the wind is too strong, I'll come in to get the size-down sail until I can hold it". You fight the rig at hand and the conditions.

If I wanted to be an equipment snob like some posters, I'd say only those who have successfully competed at some level can really appreciate that aspect of the sport, but I won't. ;-)

[Of course, none of that answers the question: should there be windsurfing at Olympics - that's a different question.]
pierrec45 is offline   Reply With Quote