Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 16th September 2008, 11:01 PM   #1
mondy

Default what next?

hi roger,
having mastered the chop hop while freeriding and extended it to 10 ft jumps off about-to-break waves and the occasional BIG piece of chop, what next? i can carve jibe at a rate of 50% (which is not bad considering the MASSIVE chop i sail in) , so i need to improve that, ok.
conditions: south sri lanka, indian ocean: onshore/ chop after the breaking-scary waves/ gusty/ from 13 to 18 knots normally
equipment: mistral explosion freeride 144 lt, 5.5/6/6.4/7 sails
me: 1.74 metres, 66 kilos
how far can i push a 144 litre board? (ok, i know naish and co. looped oiltankers, but...), have i already reached the limit of a board like this? or should i push more? i.e. learn the forward on it maybe? what is the (realistic for us mortals) limit of a board like this? maybe comnparable to a carve 145?
when it is around 20 kts or more i suppose i do really well, imho, to control the gear and it's a good adrenaline rush and exercise to sail overpowered over severe chop, BUT, the majority of the days it's not 18 kts, maybe 14/15 so what kind of size, bump and jump at this point i suppose, board could i use? what board will handle big chop at 20 kts and over for me and still be uphaulable in emergency?(as i'm the only one w/surfing here so if the wind drops i can sail back)
my target is b&j, fast freeride, maybe a little wave sailing when i go in and out in these onshore conditions, learn the loops and different jibes, i dont like freestyle (for the moment LOL)
thanks for being always nice to us, i don't often post, but i read the forum daily.
mondy
mondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Mondy,
At 66 kg. (145.5 lbs) you could most likely uphaul a 90-100 liter board.
Something smaller (or maybe 2 smaller boards) would allow you to jump higher,
handle the chop better, and give you the maneuverabilty to do alot more on the
wave faces.
Have you learned to water start already? Sounds like you have and only need the
uphaulability for times when your wind drops to sub planing and sub waterstarting....
right?
Uphauling a 96 liter (Trance/Kombat/Kode) is quite possible as I can do it on this volume and I've had experience on the Trance and Kombat (don't have a Kode yet) and I'm at least 10 kg. heavier.
I think you will find a board in the 90-100 liter range will get you planing in 14 knots with good technique on a Free Race or Free ride 5.5 m2 rig.
Then you can begin to work on loops.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 01:50 PM   #3
mondy

hi roger,
it's so nice to wake up and find a reply!
you are 100% correct about the waterstarts and the wind drops you mentioned.
so basically you are saying i have squeezed the juice out of the explosion 144, hu? time for a new board then... that will be another problem as there's no dealers, acticvities, second hand market or other sailors here....well, i'll have to import one! or grow the sport and become the *board distributor! hhehhee!
tx again roger, i have nobody to discuss anything about w/surfing here, totally alone, so your forums are precious,
all the best
mondy
mondy is offline   Reply With Quote