Old 14th August 2008, 09:05 PM   #21
Roly Gardner

Roger

Crikey that was a quick response!

I certainly think that I am depressing the windward rail as you suggest. It is something that I became aware after your previous comments on getting into the front strap. I need to concentrate a bit more on this aspect. I shall leave the raking back until I have successfully managed the rear strap and am comfortable planing in this position.

Thanks very much.

Roly
Roly Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 11:44 PM   #22
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Roly,
Yep! Your board is only doing what your stance and weight are telling it to do. If it's heading upwind, the lowered upwind rail is usually the issue.
Try the waving your front foot over the strap drill some more.
That will teach you that you can put that foot in the strap, but keep it weightless and
therefore it won't "steer" the board. All weight goes on the back leg and the rig with as much weight as possible on the rig. Back leg just steers!
Again, do all of this "step by step" and soon you won't even notice all the little "transitions" and your board will jump onto a plane and you will be hooked in and back in the straps with no effort (or thinking/ counting steps) at all.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 04:28 PM   #23
Roly Gardner

Hi Roger,

Just to say thank you for talking me through the foot straps problem I was having. I managed to get this sorted out yesterday in a great days sailing here in Eastbourne, UK. I had set myself the task of practising this until it came off! In fairly flat water and a slightly gusty 20/25 mph I took to the water on my Carve 145 and my Gaastra 6.5m rig. It was pretty easy to get planing and I concentrated on a more gradual approach to getting in the harness. Once hooked in I managed to bear away a little for the front strap and then head up wind slightly to unweight the rear foot. As I was feeling more controlled and secure the rear strap was way easier to locate and slide into.

I realise now, having successfully "found" the rear strap, that I actually had the wrong mental picture of its position if you see what I mean. Once I knew where it was it felt far easier to locate and power up. Against my initial thoughts, it felt far more secure than I anticipated and was really quite comfortable. This was particularly the case as the sea was pretty choppy and my big board was hitting the front of waves on the way out causing it to jump and bump a bit. Very exhilarating though!

Once again thanks for your thoughts, it really did make the difference. Now just the task of cracking those elusive waterstarts!

Cheers, Roly
Roly Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 07:58 PM   #24
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Roly,
Glad to hear it's coming together for you!
Good Show!
R
Old 16th September 2008, 04:37 PM   #25
marek

Default Footstraps twisted!

Just wanted to add to this thread - last weekend I had a great session but I discovered the major reason for the problems of me getting into the back foot strap was that it was twisted!

The sides of the straps twisted to the inside so both back footstraps looked like this: \ / insted of this: / \ and it was harder to slide the foot inside.

I checked and the screws hold pretty good, I'm afraid to overdo them. I had to apply quite a lot of force to align the straps again (without touching the screws), but they twisted again after a couple of hours.

Any solution to that?

-marek
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 09:08 PM   #26
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Marek,
If your footstraps are twisting with the anti-twist plates installed, about all you can do is to take the take the footstrap off completely by unscrewing both screws, and then check the condition of the anti-twist plate and the oval toothed SS washer.
Be sure the pin or tang on the ant-twist plate is still OK.
Look at the oval toothed SS washer to ensure that the tooth part still extends beyond the middle (where the screw compresses it).
If any are damaged, then need to be replaced.
Then clean everything up and apply a bar of soap to the screws (maybe even slice off some "slivers" of soap and push them down into the FS screw hole in your board.
The soap serves as a lubricant and makes getting the screws nice and tight much easier.
Also be sure to use a good quality #3 Phillips screwdriver (something with the black oxide on the tip (indicates the tip is hardened, has good geometry, and has been protected from rust by the black oxide coating) is usually the best).
The re-install your foostraps.
If your footstraps aren't in established pairs/sets, then think about moving the back straps to the front and the fronts to the back so the anit-twist plate "points" will stick into a different part of the footstrap.
After you get them installed nice and snug, go out an sail for half an hour.
Then come in and retighten the FS screws again.
Now they will stay in position for quite a long time.
Just check the tightness every few sessions as they do tend to compress the materials under the screws over time.
Another trick is to add a flat washer on top of the oval toothed SS washer to spread the load out over more of it's surface.
Hope this helps,