Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd July 2008, 07:37 PM   #11
NORTHY

Hi

Just bouncing it up to the top to try and seek a fresh response (on 3rd para ie 92 V 100 weight suitability)?

Cheers,
Northy
NORTHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:33 PM   #12
Ola_H
TEAM

90v100: Hard for me to say since I'm light. But I've used both of them. The 100 is mostly thicker and I think the rocker is slightly altered. In practice they sail kind of similar for me. Ie, the 100 is not really more difficult (but on the other hand not earlier planing or anything either). You loose some feel on the 100 since it is thicker but it still carves well if speed is not to high. The thing with all EVOs is that they turn a lot on their rockers, so as long as speed is not to great, you can whip around even the super big ones very well. For example, the fisrt time I used the 100 I was sailing 5.3 cross on, 1m waves and Kombat 79 which worked great. But I backwinded now and then and didn't hit the lips so well. I changed to the 100 which felt huge on the way out. Like a ship. But on the first wave I hit twice as many lips totally effortless than I did on the K79. So again, regardless of size you still have all that rocker in there and it does its job until the speed gets high enough so that you can not even get the rocker in hte water properly.

For a bigger rider the 100 will indeed offer more. It is specially developed to carry both a big rider and a big sail. And according to Antoine it does.

The question is what it offers a mid weight like yourself? It could be that for you the 90 is rather all round while the 100 tops it over into the "slightly cumbersome"/speed sensitive category. I think the limit for when this happens will be highly individual. But I don't think Scott sails a 100 (in fact he is mostly on the 80 in light wind. But he's a pro and can schlog anything).

Personally, I'm 70 and have found the 80 to be the best light wind size. The extra comfort the 90 offers is not worth it for me. If I would regularly sail waves with a 7.0 I might get the 90, but I'm not. Up to 5.9/6.3 the 80 is floaty enough and handles both slow and faster waves, so it is just a so much better compromise.

My guess it that by the same token, the 90 will be the best board for you.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:53 PM   #13
NORTHY

Thanks a lot Ola - appreciate you taking time out to respond.

Your thinking is the same as mine - that at 80kg the Evo 90 would make more sense than the 100 (if one can extrapolate from your experiences at 70kg). Id love to try them both out on the shoreline side by side, but given that this is near impossible for me, i will aim toward the 90 i think.

PS
Love to hear from anyone else who has tried them both?

Thanks again,
Northy
Old 10th July 2008, 01:38 AM   #14
NORTHY

Mmmm - the more i think about it the more id like to try and resist a 3 x wave board quivver if i can help it ;-)

What would an all evo 90 + 70 (or 75?) set-up be like compared to a Evo 90 + ET 80 (or 74?) for 82kg rider?

And which of those two combos (using 70/75 or 80/74) would make most sense in patnership with the 90?

Aghhh - actually im tempted to just try and lose some more weight and keep the 80 as my biggest board!
Northy

Last edited by NORTHY; 10th July 2008 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11th August 2008, 02:17 AM   #15
NORTHY

Thumbs up

FYI In the end i got myself an 08 evo70xtv wood (and keeping my 80 as well)

Used the 70 for the first time today in 20kt cross on with a 5.2m - cracking!

If your not a lightweight dont be put off by the "70" label - i found it a really accesible board for my 81kg - fantastic first session!
Old 11th August 2008, 03:37 AM   #16
Ola_H
TEAM

Great. Keep the reports coming.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote