Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 16th October 2008, 09:06 PM   #21
Unregistered

Wink data

very interesting data on those slots, thats the thing about life always something interesting or new to find out!
oh and sorry for the typos
jeff
Old 17th October 2008, 01:18 AM   #22
Woody

So Jeff, when are you going to get your Phantom? I have mine dialed now, so no more "just beat the Equipe by a second" anymore. haha!

I've shimmed the daggerboard and sanded the gasket, not because of the stiffness, but due to the non skid and paint left on the inside from the factory after painting (maybe someone can put a cover over the slot in the painting/deck grip process to prevent that in the future?).

By the way, I waited a very long time for my Phantom to arrive here in Canada. I hope the same will not be for the 2009 version. My serial number is above 40, so I'm in for the recall.
Old 18th October 2008, 02:32 AM   #23
Unregistered

Exclamation decisions

I just might woody, but its phantom OR...
two weeks in maui....eqiuvalent of two summers of high wind days.

I am looking around for a used board, and maybe just maybe i will make it up to the moosefest, but until then I am happy to read on the net and hear from guys like tbay ray that the phantom is not totally dominating.
Close racing is the best racing. Two people racing the same course, same ability, playing the same shifts and one just ekes out the other as they tacked gybed or played a shift slightly better is good racing.
A guy jumps on a kick ass board and beat the same equal abillity guy by minutes is not good racing, in fact it will discourage people.

I raced my old mistral competition SST against guys with funboards (at the time smaller 160 to 190 small centerboard types,) slaughtered them and really didnt have fun doing it.
so we will see if i can find something that is close , i thoight about the prodigy but well we will see.

thunder bay jeff
Old 18th October 2008, 02:40 PM   #24
Unregistered

Ben Hall used a slotted wing at the 2007 A class cat champs

"I do know that my boat was the fastest boat downwind in heavy air. In one race I passed 35 boats after rounding the weather mark back in 80th. I passed some boats to leeward, some to weather. It felt like an Indy Race, passing right and left on the track."

Also interesting to see a typical 14m A cat sail weighs 5kg. No they're not made out of mononfilm.......

Buy a Phantom now and get two tyos to play with, the 08 and later the 09...tempting
Old 18th October 2008, 07:05 PM   #25
Unregistered

Question

what do you mean buy one now and get two ?? are they selling two for one ??, that'd be nice to get longboard racing back in numbers.
Old 19th October 2008, 04:48 PM   #26
Unregistered

No you've got to give the first one back later (by then it's no longer a new toy). And soon I guess the dealers won't be allowed to sell remaning 08 boards - but if you wave money at them right now you might get 'two new toys to play with'
Old 20th October 2008, 01:38 AM   #27
Woody

Smile

Jeff, you can go to Maui any year dude! BUT, you may only be able to buy a Phantom and participate in the CMWC (which is only 4hrs away from you by the way), once in your lifetime....
TBay Ray did have a good regatta at Waconia, but I was spending alot of time adjusting my equipment during the first races (mast track/daggerboard, stance etc). It was the first time I had the Phantom on the water against another longboard. The Phantom is a much better board than his older equipe period. Especially for a guy like me at 210lbs. From my time I have put on the Phantom since the Waconia regatta, there will be no contest with the old boards anymore...I have it pretty dialed now!
Old 20th October 2008, 10:25 AM   #28
Unregistered

Default only the shadow knows

we will see woody, will will see,
BWAHHH HA HA ( bela lugosi style in the halloween spirit)
it will take me 4 years,to be able to make the time!!
life is dang busy...
jeff
Old 20th October 2008, 10:29 AM   #29
Unregistered

Wink .......

P.S. when theres no contest, theres no fun.
two sailors equally matched in equipment, only skill and daring will "win(d)" the day!!

IMHO
jeff
Old 28th October 2008, 01:09 PM   #30
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi All,

Star-Board will introduce next year a complete new Phantom Race with a new construction. The new shape give you a better and more consistent speed up wind with the dagger board. The deck is totally new with something never see before to help you to get on the rail quickly but also to have power in super light wind when you are not on the rail. So up wind the new shape make great improvement in all condition.
Reaching & downwind the new one get a quicker planning and get a better top end speed with more control. Jibe is more smooth and you keep your speed during all the jibe.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote