Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 4th October 2006, 04:25 AM   #11
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Default RE: Kombat 107

Chris,

As Ola has suggested above, to prevent mast impact over the nose, I'd like to recommend the DaKine FW mast pad that you can fix on the mast below the boom with 5 plastic clips. You can adjust it upward or downward depending on the lenght of the nose and the mast-track position, unlike combined T-boom bra and mast pad. It's a bit tedious to fix it on the mast but at least there is very little chance you will loose it during a wash out in waves...

http://www.dakine.com/images/xlg/4200225_xlg.jpg

As a home-made solution, you can glue some footpad directly on the nose of your board.

http://groups.msn.com/windsurfgarage/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

It will surely protect the upper deck, but in case of a serious crash, the bottom of the nose will fracture...(didn't have the DaKine mast pad at that time).

http://groups.msn.com/windsurfgarage/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 09:58 PM   #12
Christhefish

Hi

I have purchased a Maui magic boom bra, hopefully this will help to save the nose, if you do find a way to upload the photo of your Kombat 96 with a nose protector I would be intrested to see what it looks like.

chris
Christhefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 05:46 PM   #13
Christhefish

Try this email address

chrithefish@hotmail.com

chris
Christhefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 12:04 PM   #14
GEM

You've gotten terrible advice here. The K97 was the right call to match the C133 (and you did good). Jumping down to a K87 from a C133 is too big a jump (from ~72 down to ~58 cm width is too big, an 8 cm gap is better).

Now what you need is more fins. Get yourself two aftermarket fins (the SB stock fins are pretty good, but pale in comparison to aftermarket designs). I personally favor True Ames, but don't know if they're available in the UK.

Set up the C133 for light to moderate winds, planing 7.0 and lighter. More important in the fin selection is water conditions, which in this range don't lend themselves to much more than B&F / slalom on a C133. A big pointer, for light air, and a swept fin for ~7.5 are the right calls.

Then set up the K97 with fins for 6.5 and for 5.0 to 5.5, and you'll have two boards to cover a pretty huge wind range (5.0 to 8.0). The windier you get, the more you can steer toward wave designs - the fin with the K97 ought to be pretty good in high wind (if it's anything like my K96 stock fin). It's almost surely too small for 6.5, and you'll be rewarded for getting something a little bigger to suit the lighter wind end of this board's range.

In sum, with two proper sets of fins (a set for each board), you'll be very, very happy with what you've got. With the K87 and C133, I think you'd still have a gap in your quiver in the 6.5 range, no matter what fins you get.
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 12:08 PM   #15
GEM

PS - a boom bra will not help you. Properly set up, the boom will be higher than the nose (if you are of average height and not really short in stature). If you want to protect the nose, the SB designed pad fitted for your board is the way to go.
Old 10th October 2006, 03:12 PM   #16
Ola_H
TEAM

GEM, I don't know your weight and if you tried the K87, but it actually handles 6.5 (well, 6.3 in my case) very nicely with the right fin and just using widths as a sizing tool really does not tell much when comparing different types of boards (like Carve vs Kombat). My freestyle and Slalom boards have similar widths for example and cover VERY different ranges. In any case its kind of academic as Chris got he 97 (which is a good choice considering the info given).

The fin advice is excellent though and I will add a bit: The 07 Kombats come with a single crossover fin (except for the very first which still came with the two fins from 06). Its a Curtis design, kind of semi rake and sweep definitely more powerful than the Natural wave fins but a lot turnier than the 2006 freeride flow. I would say the 28 will handle a 6.5 on the K97 nicely, especially at 65 kilos. You will loose a bit in pure straight line blasting compared to the (bigger) freeride flow but the turning will be far better and this is why the new Crossover fin fits the character of the board better and complement the board nicely both with the straps set inboard and outboard. For smaller sails you might want to complement with a smaller (wave) fin. I love the Drake Natural wave myself (super flexy) and I think their almost a revolution in fin design when it comes to the range of sails each fin size can carry. For B&J:ish sailing you can safely go up a bit in size and I would say a 26cm Drake Natural handles 5.0-6.5, a 25cm handles 4.5-6.0, a 24, 4.0-5.5. So, a 25cm Drake Natural will for example be a pretty good fit for your sails while still offering some "reserve" for a smaller sail or maxed out conditions on the 5.25 (for proper waves with the 5.25, the 24 cm will be the best fit).

For the Carve, I suppose GEMs fin advice is spot on and the most important point he makes is that you will get A LOT more from both your boards if you get a few extra fins.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 11:53 AM   #17
GEM

Ola,

With all due respect, comparing a freestyle board, with a dinky fin designed to spin out and not go that fast so that you can do spocks and flakas and other new school stuff at moderate to low speed planing, to a full on slalom board, designed to rip cross and downwind maximally powered up at very high speeds and maintaing biting control in the jibes, and then saying that the width is irrelevant is one of the more egregious cases of comparing apples to oranges I've seen in a while. Moreover, the whole industry is increasingly noting the importance of width, a trend which I first caught with my Berky 295 back in ~1996, and so you're disputing that trend is kind of odd. If you'd compared Kombats to Evos, then you'd be on better ground, but you can't because in that comparison the size ranges are very similar.

So again, the question looms - what's a Carve good for? Blasting, carving, moderately challenging planing maneuvers (i.e., old school freestyle). Fins on top and bottom end, and a very good set up for the Carve part of a quiver is a C12x or C13x for that, reserving the 6.5 and down realm for more B&J / swell type sailing (i.e., the Kombat or Evo / Acid). Using SB's own rating sizes, the K9x and E9x are better suited to filling the gap at the 6.5 end than are the smaller sizes. Not that it can't be done on the 80 liter boards, but the 90 liter boards are just going to ride a bit better in (especially) the lulls. Far more sailors are rewarded by getting a bit bigger fin, a bit bigger board, and living with a slightly rougher ride than going the other way. This is especially so for neophytes to higher wind sailing.

Thus, I stand by my statement, using SB's OWN SPECS, your advice was off. I'm glad that he got the K97 because I think it'll suit him better and he'll ride it a lot more than he would a smaller board.

That said, I finally got to ride my own K96, on fresh water, with winds averaging 25 (mph) and gusts to mid 30's (measured on iWindsurf sensor). On this lake, swells were setting up at about .5 meters (my first time at this site, and given the reputation of Seneca Lake I was a bit disappointed - in such winds my usual location (wrong direction for this particular day) would have been 1.5 meter plus. When I got there, the wind was at it's peak, so I rigged a 4.7 and that ended up being a bit small, as most sailors were on 5.5's. Foostraps forward and inboard; mast base set about 49 cm in front of the forward straps. Equipped with a TrueAmes 10.25 (28 cm) Surfgrass set all the way forward in the box, the K96 handled very very nicely, only when the wind was at it's biggest did it get a bit bouncy. It was my first time on a legit wave board, but I'd studied pretty thoroughly and was able to do some small frontside / backwind off-the-lip aerials and cutbacks that got the attention of more experienced wave sailors, and I was definitely getting more air than everyone else despite being less powered. I also rode it with a 9.5 (25 cm) Surfgrass, and the extra fin size was definitely helpful in projecting up and down the swells and in getting upwind. With the bigger fin, I had no difficulty getting as far upwind as everyone else, though I suspect a better setup would have been a 5.5 and the smaller fin. I have a lot to learn to keep my weight forward on the bottom turns and cutbacks in the lulls - a bigger sail also would have helped keep me from stalling to a schlog at times. It's definitely a great board. I hope I get some more chances before the lakes turn to ice...
Old 15th October 2006, 01:19 AM   #18
Ola_H
TEAM

GEM,

Nice that your getting some waves on the K96. Even though I'm spoiled when it comes to wave boards I still find the Kombat (87 in my case now) a real wave board indeed.

As for the sizing and advice given, as I said, its kind an academis diskussion now, but I dind't write that width is totally irrelevant. But I would still easily say that the "size advice" you can get from people with real experience on a given board beats an estimate based on widths. I agree, my apples and oranges was maybe extreme, but I also have examples from the other end of the spectrum. For example I rode protos for the PA 74 which were close to 2cm apart in width but sailed identically when it comes to things like sail size spectrum and general "size feel". These boards even had the exact same rocker and v. The interesting thing is that he two PA74s were designed to handle the same spectrum and they did - regardless of their widths. If another shaper used widths as as guideline and designed boards with 2cm width diffeerence to really perform differently, then they would. But, if you haven't riddent the boards or don't know how they are designed, you have very little chance of nailing their performance using a number (like width). And if you compare EVOs and Kombats, I would say my K87 handles bigger sails easier than my E80. More so than the 0.5 cm width difference would indicate.

So, while width may be as good or better than any other single number extracted from the board measurements the margin of error is still very large. And I don't dispute the trend - rather I think it is in fact just that - a trend. I can go deeper into this if you're interested (but won't do it in this point in case you're not)

In any case, my experience on the K87 is still that it handles a 6.3 beautifully at my weight and it will not exactly be any worse at a few kilos lighter. The published ranges are generally a big conservative for a sub 70kg rider. But again, as I also said in my originalt post, If you do want to either have some more reserve volume for "safety" or want to optimize your Kombat for bigger sails the K97 is a good choice and I agree it will handle lulls with a 6.5 a tad better than the 87 (but the difference is actually not that big if you're light).

Cheers,
Old 17th October 2006, 10:21 AM   #19
GEM

I agree there are many factors. Personally, I feel that a slightly bigger platform's advantages outweigh the disadvantages most of the time in most places, largely because most locales are more likely to have lighter wind than heavier wind. In my case, which was not the same for the original post in this thread, the reduced bouyancy / up force of fresh water is also a factor. based on prior experience, having ridden the 96 in fresh water, I suspect in 5.0-6.0 winds I would prefer the K87 over the K9x (agreeing with you). Bigger sails - my prefs would probably depend somewhat on the rig and on sea state.

Sadly, no more sailing this season as I was playing with my dog, we had a bit of an accident and I now have a broken finger. Oh well, next year...
Old 17th October 2006, 12:20 PM   #20
Ola_H
TEAM

Sorry about the finger.

Cheers