Old 27th September 2006, 03:02 PM   #1
truth

Default My first Starboard: question

Hello all. I just finished my first season/year of windsurf with a (really) big board (RRD Easy Rider L) and I want to evolve/move on, so I am planning to buy my first Starboard for 2007.
I am 37, 75 kgs, and after one year of windsurfing I am able to go with light/medium winds. I use a 6.0 Solo Neil Pryde Sail, and I am going to buy also a 5.0 and a 7.5.
I usually sail in North Adriatic Aea (winds from light to medium, no waves) and Garda/Como lake, in the morning (light-medium winds).
I would like to know if is best, for me, the Carve 162 Wood or the Go 155.
I would love to keep this board as long as possible and to learn very good planing, straps, speed jibes.

Thank you in advance

Gio - Italy
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 11:16 PM   #2
boussog1

Default RE: My first Starboard: question

Are you in footstraps and harness? Can you waterstart?

Go is a begginers board, so, same as your easy rider. So the carve is better and at 75 kg you can/should go smaller than 162. Also, it doesn't have to be wood.
boussog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 07:46 AM   #3
rod_r

Hi truth

I have used the RRD once and have also owned a Go 155 and carve 161, and am 80 kg's. I beg to differ with boussog1 :-).

The Go is not a beginner board. The 155 is a very good board for any level and frankly has it all over the easyrider, which I did not rate at all. The carve 161(162) is also a very nice board

My view is that to "learn very good planing, straps, speed jibes" the Go will give you what you are looking for.

The combination of wider tail, more weight, multiple footstrap positions and EVA will make every step along the learning cure easier and more comfortable. It will plane earlier and go into higher winds than the carve.

I see the large carve as a board for more advanced windsurfers looking for a good ride in light winds without going the formula/isonic route.

regards,

rod
rod_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 01:41 PM   #4
truth

Thank you very much! My idea is to keep (and continue to use) the Easy Rider for light winds, and then use the Starboard when the wind rises (i.e. in the afternoon). as you know, here in Adriatic sea 90% of the time we have light winds. I would use the starboard also on the lake (garda and Como). I would use the Starboard with three sails (5.0, 6.0 and 7.5). I see that these sails fits also in the Go 139 tufskin model but I don't know if my weight is too much for the Go 139 model. would you suggest the Go 155?
All the best
Gio
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 12:25 AM   #5
steveC

Hi truth,

I'm not from the Starboard team, but I thought that I would comment briefly. I'm a bit lighter than you at 70kg, but I think that we are close enough where the difference wouldn't be that meaningful. If I were you, you might want to go a bit less on the volume with maybe the GO 129. The sail range you are considering is well within the target of the 129, and I'll bet that you'll find the extra liveliness a real asset for your higher wind lake sailing. Also, the 129 has plenty of float to take care of your light wind needs too.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote