Old 19th July 2008, 05:53 AM   #21
Philip

Guys, guys,

Let us play the ball not the man. Safety issues have be canvassed on the site before. A cursory Google reveals studies that show that common injuries to WS are ankles (footstraps), shoulders (going over the handlebars when holding on), lower back (the effort of low wind sailing esp. with long boards), and head. There is also the issue of hypothermia or heat stroke. Overall though the concensus is that WS is a relatively safe sport - I surmise because people are sensible and take precautions. All I can say is that my Gath has saved me from any number of bumps to the noggin and I have no complaints.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 07:42 PM   #22
John Kemsley

Guys its a personal choice, I wear a Protech not as pretty as a Gath, and probably not as comfortable, but it was in my price range. However it has protected my head during a couple of major wipeouts - including one where i took the nose completely off of a board with my head.

Most of the guys at my local spot use helmets, the majority are Gath and they seem hapy with them.
John Kemsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Frant

I think that the Gath is an excellent windsurfing helmet. It is light and comfortable. Wearing a Gath helmet will significantly reduce the probability of a blow to the head from mast, boom or board rendering you out cold floating face first in the water. I always wear a Gath.
Frant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 02:08 AM   #24
Unregistered

One thing i have been curious about the Gath surfhat? type helmets with the neoprene forehead is in regards to their protection for windsurfing. It seems to me that the forehead into the mast collision would be perhaps the most likely in windsurfing but this helmet does not have anything there. I'd be reluctant to wear a helmet with a solid visor as it seems it would work like a bucket when hitting the water. Thoughts?
Old 25th July 2008, 04:45 AM   #25
Philip

An excellent point. Which is why I have the full helmet style. As mentioned I have the visor 3/4 way up for a variety of reasons. It could be taken off anyway. The thing with the full helmet is the ability to adjust it for individual needs.
Old 27th July 2008, 01:03 AM   #26
Rocket

I have a Gath helmet which I bought for kiteboarding. I wear a foam helmet sometimes for windsurfing. The Gath helmet is the surf model, which has a solid rubber forehead peak. Sounds like it is not ideal for kitesurfing, but it seems that no helmet is. Looks like I have to settle for 'Its better than nothing' and hope that it is considerably better than nothing if it ever gets hit. I find the Gath slightly tight fore-and-aft, so I notice some pressure on my forehead. Otherwise it is a snug fit, but I can wear sun glasses with it.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 08:18 AM   #27
Unregistered

Default Helmets for sailing 2011

I'm searching for a helmet and wonder if the nearly 3 years that have passed since the last of these comments has anything new to offer. I'm not a sail or kite boarder. I sail a Laser and bigger boats and haven't in my 55 years of sailing even considered a helmet. But now I'm thinking about it; maybe because I'm a little slower to react or because I'm seeing more incidents of head injuries. I'm thinking about the 20+ mph winds in which jibes happen a lot faster and sometimes when you're not ready for it. I have no technical knowledge about the forces exerted when a boom comes flying across the boat with the sail filled by a massive gust, but I know for darn sure it can break your head open.

So whether the helmet is enough or not it seems like anything would have to be better than nothing. Where are you all at with your analysis 3 years later? Generally in Laser sailing the impact is more likely to be on the side of the head and not the top. And there are times when you're getting tossed out of the boat, so referring to one of the previous comments about the force of the water on the bottom edge of the helmet pulling neck muscles resonates.

I just saw a helmet called the Aerolite at www.sailinghelmet.com which has little information and apparently isn't being sold yet. Anyone having any knowledge of that?

Mark
Seattle
Old 28th February 2011, 04:00 AM   #28
Philip

My Gath helmet is now modified to wear over the top of a wet suit hat in winter when it gets the most use. Visor taken off. Plan to buy a second Gath set-up for warmer weather sailing with peak. Like 'unregistered' I find coordination is not as good as before and bumping into things is more likely.
Old 28th February 2011, 02:43 PM   #29
PG

I have never worn a helmet when windsurfing. I have never hurt my head badly while windsurfing. Either we have a relatively safe sport, or then I am just lucky (as most windsurfers out there).

A helmet is intended to reduce the risk of injury. It is not supposed to prevent injury totally. We have to accept that. When I ski downhill I use a helmet in most cases. But I am aware that it will not prevent all injuries, especially not to knees, back, arms.

I have played a log of icehockey, where everyone today wears a helmet. Even if every active player is aware that the helmet is just a protection, not a means of injury prevention. The speeds and forces in ice hockey are high, and concussions happen. Still helmets are important.

So why not look at Ice hockey helmets, built for high speed impacts? Well ventilated. Relatively light. Should be useful...
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 09:50 AM   #30
Spaceman

Default Helmets for Sailing 2011

Hockey helmet is a great suggestion. I actually have been looking at them on-line as well as lacrosse, bike, rock climbing etc. and will investigate the hockey more closely since you suggested it. Certainly the advantage to all of these is they have a rating system and there are some standards and measurement of safety relative to the sports. I agree that hockey would seem to be a very likely one as it would be expected to receive side and top impact, both from pucks and sticks. It is interesting that sailing and soccer headgear don't have a measurement system, which most assuredly speaks to the lack of recognition for any need in those sports. It will be interesting to see what this Aerolite helmet is when it becomes available. The few locals that I've seen wearing helmets are using kayak helmets, but I don't think they are up to snuff for this use.
Thank you,
Mark
Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote