Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 11th July 2008, 07:32 AM   #1
Maximus

Default Suitable Kids and Wife's Board

Hi Roger

I am looking to get a board for my wife, which is also suiable for the kids. She is approx 55-60kg, in the footstraps (most of the time) and is starting to get the hang of planing. Previously she had a GO 130 (2006) and was starting to find it a little big. However as she doesn't get out often likes the stability as well....., including the padded deck. I have kids 1,3, & almost 6 along with an Ezzy kids 1m & 1.5m rig.

I was thinking either:

Kombat Tufskin 112
Pro Kids Go

I am considering the GO 122, however there are no beginner footstrap positions.

Any suggestions would be great.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Maximus,
Since I do not have either of these boards, I cannot comment based on my personal experience sailing them, but I think I would have selected these two based on your criteria.
I wouldn't worry too much about the beginner footstrap positions (I've never found kids to really need them, and it sounds like your wife is already back on the board in the footstraps located in the more high performance positions).
Since your wife likes the GO 130, perhaps the Pro Kids GO would be better here, your little ones will be able to sail almost anything as they are really small.
If you have access to a big Start (2002/2003), and you aren't too large, you can get your little ones sailing with you riding in front of the mast.
Be sure to put the mast foot as far back as possible, and you still will not be able to sail upwind very well.
If you have this problem (I'm 95% sure that you will) with the little 1.0 and 1.5 m2 rigs, get back to me and I can explain how to make a "mast slot extender" that will get the rig back over the center fin where it needs to be.
The Kombat Tufskin would be a little more of a performance upgrade for your wife (bit narrower in the tail, probably has a bit better higher wind capability, but since she likes the GO 130, perhaps the tiny ProKids GO will be more to her liking.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Maximus

Hi Roger

Thanks for the advice
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote