Old 31st July 2008, 03:52 PM   #1
think

Default Upgrade from E74 2003?

OK, it's time to separate from my trusty E74 first model 2003??
So what shall I choose??
Weight: 81Kg
Sail range: 3.7-5.3m
Waves: 1m to mast+, side to cross on
Most common condition: 4.2m-4.7m 30knots head waves cross onshore
I also got a AB+ 87l as a light wind board using 4.7m-5.3m.

I want a looser and faster turning board specially on the top turn.
I'm thinking about 1 maybe two board quiver.. considering the Evil twin 80 as one board??

Any advise?
think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Unregistered

If by E74 you mean Evo and you say you sail in cross-on conditions then I think you will find the twin fin to be a bad move and a major backward step.
Twin fins - Slow to plain.
Slow.
Cost an absolute fortune every time you want to change fin size.
Not as good as thrusters or Evo's
At no point did I say gimmick...
Old 2nd August 2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

Think, I've asked Scott to comment on this since he's about your size, but I don't know if he's out travelling or something. Let's give him a day or two.

I can say from experience on the Evil Twin 74 that it is a rather early planer and very good upwind too so I don't really agree with the poster above that the ET80 could not be an interesting option.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 06:01 AM   #4
think

Thanks, Ola_H, I have not seen a starboard evil twin yet, but is it fair to say that the tail or hip is wider than other brands twins (fanatic) and that would be because it's got more of Evo lines in the shape. Wouldn't that also be better for onshore conditions? I'm sure the twins work very well in side and cross off specially with a snappier top turn.. may main concern is how it will work in cross onshore sometimes overpowered conditions 40knots.

How do you compare the volume on ET? is ET80 like E74? I find that the E74 enough volume.

Also as I understand starboards board weight has been reduced a lot for 09 which is a big bonus I think.

I was also thinking about keeping my AB for light wind waves, if that's the case would a ET74 be better than a ET80?
Old 6th August 2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

OK, looks like Scotty is on the road or something, so I'll give it my best despite only being 70 kilos.

On the original question (replacing the E74 with something looser) already the 08 or 09 EVO 75 xtv will do that. They are exactly looser int he top turn in the sense that it is much easier to set a rail when coming into the top turn with speed.

Another alternative is the upcoming Evil Twin 74. It is overall rather similar to the EVO in feel, but the top turn particularly is looser and less locked in. Especially on steeper waves you can get away with more radical top turns.

As you say the ETs have a fair bit of EVO heritage in them but they have even more hip. This was done to make them go vertical better, but it gives them some extra area in the back too which of course helps in less than ideal conditions. I've sailed the ET 74 in slow waves and cross on - the usual wind blow stuff we get here in Sweden, and it does this really well. I've sailed the ET74 in 40 knots (cross on), and it does that rather well too - better than the EVO 74/75 I would say. So, it's a board with a really wide range for me and I think it will have a wide range for you to (but shifted towards a bit more powered up stuff since you will not float on it as well as I do).

It's rather hard to replace two boards with that much of volume difference (87 and 74) with only one board. You've inevitably gonna loose something. If you're gonna do it maybe the ET 80 is indeed the best alternative. It has reasonable volume and I think it will still be loose enough. But probably keeping the 87 (which is a nice board but still will not sell for that much anyway, I suppose) will give you more options in different conditions. Then, especially since you mention 40 knots, the ET 74 is the right way to go (unless you want to play safe and go for the EVO 75).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 12:03 PM   #6
think

Thanks, you right with the AB probably quite hard to get any cash for..also it's a very good board, not so fast but nice to turn for be such a big board I think it's 60cm wide.

Yes, I'm tossing up between ET74 or E74 CarbonWood seems to be the way almost 1 kg lighter..

Thanks.