Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 16th August 2008, 04:11 AM   #1
davidestroppa

Default Kode vs EVO

Hi.
I have a EVO 74 year 2003 that I use quite often on shore and sometimes side shore with sails from 4.2 to 5.3 (I am 70 kg).
I love this board because is easy, forgiving and even if I am not able to be so fast on the lip I can surf and enjoy a lot of spots (in Feb I have been to Cape Town).
I am really curious to know which are the main differences with the new shape Kode: coud you give me a brief comparison ? Shall I get EVO again or also Kode has to be considered.
Thanks
Davide
davidestroppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

If you like the EVO 74 I think you will be better off with a new EVO. The Kodes are faster and feel a bit direct. Less width and narrower tails make them more controllable in bigger waves. But they require better technique and drive for radical wave riding in less ideal conditions (onshore, slow waves etc).

The EVOs are super easy in non ideal waves but can be pusher very well in big fast waves too. The 09 (and 08) EVO 75 are already a bit better for fast off the lips than the old 74. But if you are 70 kilos and like your EVO 74 but want to take a step towards a more radical board I would suggest the EVO 70. It is quite a lot easier in radical waves than the 74/75 but looses out only very, very little in light wind and slow wave. This would be the absolute best all round wave board for you, I would say.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 03:15 PM   #3
davidestroppa

Default Thanks

Thanks Ola: good advise...as always from you.
Can you breafly explain the main differences in riding between my old EVO (2003 cut tail design) and the 09 ?
davidestroppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 03:11 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

The original 2003/04 EVO 74 is still a very good board. In a way you could almost say it is better than when it was introduced since it is better understood nowadays. My point is that it is a very good board you have there and you don't need to change just for the sake of it. It took many years to come up with something better (the change to round tail in 05 was very minor)

That said, the 09 (and 08) EVO 75 XTV has been improved by mainly a better v layout and then some slight adjusments to the rest of the shape. This may not sound like much, but it adresses the particular area where the original EVOs had their biggest weakness in the wave riding in my opinion. That is a fast carving cut back. With all that tail, you had to set up such a turn very carefully not to slide out of the carve when you applied pressure. The new XTV is more natural when entering such a turn.

This may sound like a technical detail, but it translates into more control and simply a better behaviour in faster wave riding, meaning the board has a wider range. In practice you don't loose any of the good things in slow wave and light wind, but you gain some range in higher winds and in faster waves and side shore.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote