Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd August 2008, 01:59 PM   #11
namreh

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
At this point in time someone like taty who can race, throw double forwards and has an INCREDIBLE freestyle repertoire has way more all round abilities than Bjorn. Taty is a far more complete athlete...
Check his pwaprofile (yep wave champion AND first freestyle champion)... Next year he will become 40 years old! I think it's normal that he can't get up anymore with the 18 years old freestyle guys... Or could you when you are 39? ;-)

pwa profile:
"He is twelve-fold PWA Overall World Champion (1988-1999), twelve-fold PWA Race World Champion (1988-1999) and seven-fold PWA Wave World Champion (1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2001). In addition, he won the PWA Freestyle World Championships in 1998 as well as the PWA Speed World Championships in 1994 and has scored more than 100 single PWA World Cup victories."
namreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 02:42 PM   #12
viking

If he had no "style", how could he won 7 wave titles - including a victory at the Aloha Classic - in front of people like Naish and Polakow? Not easy to have the "style" when you weight 100kg...

In the case of Bjorn, his titles speak for him, and nobody can argue that he is not one of the 2 best windsurfers ever - it can be discussed if the greatest is Bjorn or Robby, Bjorn has more titles but Robby did not have too much titles available to win at the beginning, both of them dominated 11 years (1976-1987 and 1988-1999)
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 05:17 PM   #13
Unregistered

Robby has way more style today than Bjorn ever had.

Style is undefinable and will always be a matter of opinion - sure Bjorn can race and looks good doing it.

Comparing across eras - for my Money Bjorn's wave sailing style was never close to your Ciscos, Naish's, Polakows , Kalamas, both Angulos, Pat Redmans, Dave Sheens, Boujmaas , Jaeger Stones, and many more.

Sure - give credit for squeeezing an extra .003% speed out of the back leg on the last slalom leg reach - and being able to handle the pressure of fleet starts and finishes. For wavesailing - bjorn was winning by being mobile and making the moves consistently. It was never done with style - hence the name - the machine.

but For me - style is the essence of the sailor - and where greatness can be found. Josh Stone has it, Kauli's got it - Bjorn doesnt.
Old 22nd August 2008, 05:36 PM   #14
ugly

Bjorn's style is winning. What's your style?
Old 22nd August 2008, 07:32 PM   #15
Unregistered

I am not here to discuss my style. I dont think anyone would be interested.

Back on topic:

As a racer - Today - for sure he is the best or close.

As a legend - no argument there - although you have to ask yourself the deeper question- which direction did the sport go as that legend was being written ? - and why?

As an all round sailor that can sail freestyle , waves AND Race - today there are far more complete sailors. Back in the 90s he was the all round best sailor - although its no secret his wavesailing was never pretty to watch.

AS a sailor with style that crew would seek to emulate -that have influenced how the next generation rides - look to Polakows , Naishes abd Ciscos - you rarely (or never) hear Dunkerbeck mentioned as an influence to the next wave of amazing talent coming through.

As a board developer - well recent events have proven there are better out there too. And they are already riding with SB. Probably within their rights to be a bit sore to see their hard work and loyalty sold on to DB. But igues DB has as much right as anyone to buy an Isonic..Great publicity for the SB though - you just cant buy that sort of exposure!

And dont Thommen look silly right now ! -especially when Thommen is all about DB - they have egg on their face - what does that say about the style in which you treat your board sponsor of many years?
Old 23rd August 2008, 01:29 AM   #16
steveC

From Thommen's most recent comments at his website, it appears that the close relationship that they shared for many years is now over. Understandably, Thommen is a bit stung, but no doubt that Barry Spanier felt similarly when Bjorn chose a different sail designer while at NP, as I'm sure that strong fruitful relationships over time often include a personal dimension too. I don't know if Bjorn's change from NP to North included a similar kind of abandonment for the folks at NP, but seemingly Bjorn isn't bashful about making major changes when it might be in his interest. Really, it must be remembered that windsurfing is Bjorn's job and career, and he's much like many folks out there that make changes in their careers or the companies they work for good reasons.

From Svein's comments, it's my impression that he could certainly find some lift and leverage with Bjorn teaming up with Starboard. I don't know what kind of ripple affect might occur amoung other top team members, but that's a different issue because there is always going to be change in the mix over time. Without question, Svein's decision to bring Antoine into the fold has proven to be quite valuable, and from what all us normal folks can see, Kevin is still strongly behind the brand.

Time will likely tell us a lot more. The thing I really wonder about, if Bjorn does team up with Starboard, is what role(s) would he play overall for the brand? Really, there's much more to it than just the competition and racing side of the picture. Just looking at the situation with Diaz's recent signing with Starboard, there's a lot of complexity and purpose involved. From Diaz's interview (a very good one I might add) he going to be offering some real core strength to the brand that it's tough to duplicate.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 09:56 AM   #17
viking

Barry Spanier left NP long time before Bjorn did!

"you rarely (or never) hear Dunkerbeck mentioned as an influence to the next wave of amazing talent coming through"

Fernandez, Ceballos, all the pozo crew, it is not neglectable...

The guy who has the right style is the guy who wins!
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:18 AM   #18
Unregistered

If on SB -i could see value in Bjorn match testing with Antoine on similar shapes - that way you have 2 similar riders (power gorillas) to make some interesting board speed conclusions from. But then again that approach to development has been done to death - perhaps with only marginal gains.

But remember - these guys are very different from the normal sailor in size and strength.

Right now you have AA and KP who are both different style and scale riders - one 80 kg the other 105 kg plus.
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:13 AM   #19
Unregistered

what boards is Bjorn riding at Karpathos?
Old 23rd August 2008, 01:56 PM   #20
steveC

viking,

I don't know how long that you been around windsurfing, but Spanier was sort of cast off by Bjorn when he suddenly chose to go with a different sail designer (NP's current sail designer). Not that long after, Spanier left NP and moved to Gaastra along with the other key sailors on "The Team" (Phil McGain, Kevin and Matt Pritchard, to include Scott Fenton). As things proved out, Kevin riding Barry's sails and Mike Zajicek's boards (badged as Bics) won the World Cup in 2000, ultimately beating Bjorn and ending his domination of Slalom Racing. Truly, an interesting turn of events overall. But unfortunately for Kevin, the PWA bailed from Slalom after his 2000 win.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote