Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 23rd August 2008, 04:37 PM   #21
viking

You forgot there was Rosenblad between Spanier and the actual designer. NR did the RX1 and RX2, no?
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 06:23 PM   #22
geo

I think that NR designed the VX series and Barry Spanier the RX's.

In my view it could be worth to have BD in any manufacturer's team, was it just to seize him from the competition. Not sure how possible team mates would like to be in BD's same team, anyhow. Probably the new "production materials" rules would make that a bit easier.
As for Thommen, now it shows clearly it was a mistake to rely that much on one single man.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 06:35 PM   #23
nonopr

In reference to Post #20.
Mike Zajicek, Still doing his thing and producing very, very fast boards but do to the rules on the slalom 42, he has taken a back seat in all these. I wonder if he is colaborating with any board company these days. By far the fastest board I still have in my arsenal is a 56cm wide and 246cm long slalom board. He made for me about a 1 1/2 years ago.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 12:51 AM   #24
steveC

viking,

You know, you could be quite right about NP designers after Spanier. I've never been a real fan of NPs, so I have to admit to being a bit sketchy on some of the details. I have to say, just off the top, that I can't even recollect the name of NP's current sail designer. That's why I kind of skated the issue in my earlier post.

Nonopr,

Prior to the demise of PWA Slalom after the 2000 year, many pros were riding customs badged as some of the big production brands. One of the more interesting ones that I've seen was back in 1995 at the Maui NP shop. It was one of Matt Pritchard's used F2 boards with Thommen's name over it, but ironically, the board was made and signed by Zajicek.

However, with the PWAs decision to limit racing to only the actual production brands approved by the ISAF, its my understanding that Mike's effort to pursue ISAF approvals has been limited to his formula boards. Although I don't know for sure, I don't think that Mike is working directly with any board company now. I think his earlier collaboration with Bic was the last occasion.

I have to agree with you about Mike's ability to make incredibly fast designs. Actually my most recent Mike's Lab is from the same timeframe as yours (made in late Fall 2006). It's just a tad wider and longer though, at about 57cm x 249cm.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 01:38 PM   #25
Unregistered

what boards is "dork on boad" riding in karpathos"?
Old 24th August 2008, 04:30 PM   #26
viking

For speed, I think he is riding a custom, from who, I do not know
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 11:17 PM   #27
Unregistered

Barry Spanier designed the VX series and at least the Z1 for NP. The RX I believe started with Niels Rosenbad.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:43 PM   #28
Thorsten

Send a message via ICQ to Thorsten Send a message via Skype™ to Thorsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
For speed, I think he is riding a custom, from who, I do not know
Proof normally, but he had some small iSonics in his quiver too.

He won Karpathos and is the new european champion!
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 11:04 PM   #29
Rave On

And finally, Robert Stroj The RS1 thru RS6 and RS Racing - Success? I'd say so!
Rave On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 06:40 PM   #30
Unregistered

Exclamation not "mum"anymore

dunker bunker is on the front page well behind A2 int the 1st picture then clearly advertised as number 2 in front of KP in the second picture.
dunkerbeck aka :"d-bunker"
is he perhaps d bunking the starboard myth???
hmmm time will tell,
starboards getting so big these days , i can see them as becoming the new mistral.the way
mistral was years back.
but there is always backlash when your the big kid on the block. Then your seen as the "McDonalds" of windsurf boards .
and then only kooks will ride them at kanaha.
careful starboard.