Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 1st July 2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Winther

Default EVo or Acid for 4,7 weather in Denmark

Hi Team.

I am looking for possibly at one board solution for 4,2 to 5,3 weather in cross onshore - side shore european choppy conditions.

(Next step down from a 94 liter free style wave design)

North shore Sealand, Denmark - like the Tulloesand conditions on the Sweedish west coast.

Currently I am sailing a Evo 80 liter - but often finds it to big for the smaller sail seizes 4,7 and 4,2 and the 94 liter really fits the 5,3 conditions nicely most of the times - since the waves are wind generated and seldom grows very big in 5,3 m weather - like up to 1 meter.

I am 75 to 78 kg.

What would you recomment - Acid 74, Evo 75 or Evo 70?

Thanks in advance
Yours
Lars W.
Winther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi Lars,

I like width boards and the evo always was the board I like the most for wave sailing.

I don't like so much narrow boards because it's not my style of a board and that's why the Acid it's not my type of boards.

The EVO 70 is what I would go for.

I believe that the Acid is more a radical wave riding boards.

Taty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 06:23 AM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

If you like the turnability and feel of the EVO 80 I would stay with teh EVO concept. Acids are nice too and have a faster feel to the, but in my opinion EVOs are hard to beat or the conditions you describe. I think already an EVO 75 would be a sufficiently big step down from the 80. But if you really feel the 94 does the light 5.3 duty well, I would take the bigger step down to the EVO 70. Its a very special board that covers both slower waves and the really good days exceptionally well. A fantastic blend of smal wave onshore effectiveness and big wave smoothness. At your weight, as soons as your powered up with a 5.3, it's just about as effective as the EVO 75. You will just miss a bit of light wind comfort.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Winther

Ola - I read the thread stepping down from Evo80 - where you were discussing the different production years, for the Evo 75.

Could you shortly describe witch EVO 70 "vintage" I should go for and why. I think I could get an hold of both 2006, 2007 and 2008. - I don't want a "sticky" down the line wave design. The boards needs to plane early and also feel loose - also when not on the wave.

Currently I have an 2006 Evo 83 liter in my summer house - in Sweeden - and I love this board. It goes early planning and loose with all sails from 4,5 to 5,8. It's my can do everything board.

In comparinson I think my Evo 80 2007 (That I use for my home break) feels sticky and slow to plane - it's nice on the wave though - it's the sticky feeling that makes me prefer the wave/ style 94 liter in 5,3 conditions. Would you have any similar experience with the 80 liter Evo for 2007 as you have with the 75 liter 2007?

Yours
Lars W.
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:15 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

When it comes to the 70, all years are good. 07 the board got a differnt v layout which improved the smoothness in the top turns at sped withough noticably affecting low speed performance. The 08 version is a tad thicker than the 07. I prefer the 07, but I'm 70 kilos. For you the 08 might be better since it will float you a bit easier, but differences are not huge. The 07 80 is also a very good version, not similar to the 07 75. The 06 83 is a bit livelier though.

I would say any version of the 70, relative the size, is livelier in its feel than the 80, but the general characteristic is similar. If you want a similar feel as the fsw 94 but in a smaller and turnier package, I think you should look at the Acid 74. For me, the EVOs, and the 70 in particular, is the perfect wave board for what you describe, but the Acid 74 is very nice too and is an unusual combination of almost fsw like speed, planing and and effectiveness and radical wave board performance. If you're after a sharp and precise feel the PA74 will give you that.

When you say you like the 06 EVO 83, you may take a second look at the 08 EVO 75 also. It has a bit flatter rocker and more liveliness to it. The 08 75 will still easily handle 4.5 better than the 83 and 4.0 is OK too. Maybe the best choice after all.

Many options as you see. You have to think about what you want from the board and then try to relate to these descriptions and what you know from riding the 80 and 83. Of course, if you have more questions I'm happy to answer them.
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Winther

Hi Ola.

Thanks.

I have had the Acid 80 liter 2005 - but I love the free feeling of the Evo, so I quickly sold it again.

I think my options might be - keep the Evo80 and play with mast foot to tune it and get a 70 liter evo for the good day's.

Taking economy into the equiation - I think I could get new a 2006 for 6000 kr - a 2007 for 7000 kr and a 2008 used for 7500 kr.

Would you go for the 2006 - or would the newer models be worth the extra money?

Yours
Lars W.
Old 3rd July 2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

If you're keeping the 80, I think the extra 1000 for the 07 is the best bet. With bigger sails (or generally - slower waves), try it with the 23 cm fin from the 80 also.
Old 3rd July 2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Winther

Ok - I will go for the 2007 version.

Can I fine tune the performance of the Evo 80 as well. Using the standart drake 23 fin for 5,3 sail - it seems it lack a little upwind performance in marginal conditions.

What could you recogment for fin - for marginal 5,3 and 5,8 sails - all Tushingham Rock and Storm.
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:16 PM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

I don't know the Tushingham sails so well, but generally for light/onshore 5.3 you could go for the Drake 24 or even 25. This sounds huge, but as long as the wave riding speed is rather low (which it tends to be at those wind strengths in our part of the world) you can a fair deal up upwind and light wind effectivenss by going for a bigger fin. Since you have the 23, I would go for the 25.

I sailed the EVO 80 with 5.5 and 24cm Drake Natural dead onshore last week and I was flying upwind.

Contrary to what some people think, EVOs also like a powered up sail. Since they are so composed in the actual wave sailing, you can often get away with a bit more sail power. This really help in the upwind department too.
Old 4th July 2008, 03:24 AM   #10
Winther

Hi Ola.

Went to the shop to purchase the evo70 2007 today.

Sadly they couldn't find it - their inventory system was not updated - so know I am down to 2006 at 6.000 or 2008 at 10.000. How do they compare to the 2007 - or should I rather search more for another 2007?