Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 26th August 2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Chrigi

Default Scratch on the nose - repair?

Hi all!
A dumb accident is happened! Because a “slide-fall” the mast damaged a little bit the nose of my new iSonic board – what a …..! The structure around the scratch is still hard and not other as normal (feel by hand). So I believe that at the structure of the board nothing is happened.

Now I’m think I must protect the damaged spot before water, especially because the wood. Is that right?
 What a substance I have to use? Glue (if yes, what a glue)? Silicon (if yes, what a silicon)? Epoxy (if yes, what a epoxy)? Other material?

Thank you very much for your answer!
Christian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg isonic nose.jpg (13.7 KB, 35 views)
Chrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 01:45 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

If you are sure it is not a crack, I would go with some epoxy, maybe with some filler in it. Basically, any epoxy would do, but a type that becomes hard and possible to sand after hardening is preferable.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 05:09 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Chrigi,
The RH side of your "crack" appears to have either wood or glass fibers crushed at
different levels.
This indicates some sort of structural damage to the skin (shell if you prefer) of
your board.
Depending on where on your board this damage is (I could not tell from the photo) I agree with Ola.
Some sort of "filled" or thickened epoxy should seal the damage and allow you to fair in
the damaged area to the surrounding undamaged area.
Fortunately, it's in the white painted area, so after you get it all sealed and faired, a
bit of masking off the surrounding area, and quick coat of the appropriate shade of white epoxy enamel (spray can is OK here) and your board will look nearly new.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 10:15 PM   #4
nonopr

I am very sorry to tell you as it is. Your board was damage by the mast. The jagged edge in the gel coat or epoxy coating indicated that the board was not only cracked open but more damage that what you think was done to it. I suggest not to repair anything right now with any epoxy. You need to take it to a professional to have him repair the crack. It might need some fibergalss or carbon mat to be able to help the board support both sides of the damage and make it become one again. It is not a hard fix. Use a pro for the repair and he will be able to make it look like new.
Sorry.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 12:33 AM   #5
steveC

Christian,

The one thing that you need to do is remove the paint adjacent to the visual damage you see now. This will allow you to take stock of what happened. Even a hairline crack will eventually absorb a lot of water over time. Depending on your findings, you can then focus on the best type of repair strategy to employ. I would recommend that you check out the BoardLady's website below to learn more about board repair. It's an excellent resource.

http://www.boardlady.com/index.htm
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 12:47 AM   #6
nonopr

Steve C: Great link to learn the basics. Thanks
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 12:36 PM   #7
Chrigi

Thank you for your answers and hints.
On the BoardLady's website he write from the pressure test with the thumb - at his damaged samples allways a crunchy sound is to hear.
The area around my crack is still very hard and I can not hear some crunchy sound...therefore I think that the board has not a really damage.
Can it even so be damaged without crunchy sound and hard material around the crack?
Chrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Pacs

Send a message via MSN to Pacs Send a message via Yahoo to Pacs

Hi,

You need to sand a bit to see what happen inside. mandatory. And also, the epoxy dont glue well over the paint/gelcoat, thats why you need to sand.

Recently my mas hit my FUTura, and a fine crack. After sand i saw the problem was only paint and the inside layers was fine.

Some liquid/fluid epoxy to seal it and sailing again. But mit hit was between the white/black/red colors...

good luck

Paco
Pacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 03:50 AM   #9
steveC

There's excellent way to tell if you have a crack, but you need a small pump to lightly pressurize the board. Basically, you remove the vent plug, put the tube coming from the pump in the vent plug hole and temporarily seal the opening with some plumbers putty. After lightly pressurizing the board you apply a bubble solution, like the kind small kids use to blow bubbles, and brush it liberally around the damaged area. If you see signs of bubbling, you've got some kind of fracture or crack that penetrates the boards skin structure. No sign of bubbles, you have no worries, and can simply repaint the area which was damaged.

Eva, the Boardlady, showed me this testing technique at her shop a number of years ago. I would recommend sending Eva an E-Mail (she's great about getting back with answers), and she can advise you on the best pump type to use and what sort of pressure level to use. You definitely don't want to over pressurize the interior of the board.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote