Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st September 2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Prokids Go 100 06

My 7 year old is learning to windsurfing. Although she is already taking lessons and likes the GO, I am wondering if the prokids Go 100 will work fine for her. It seems too beginner from the info available on the 06 website, and with the speed my girl has learned, I am afraid that she will outgrow it quickly. Does it have a fin slot underneath right in the middle? Does it come with a plug when not in use?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 1st September 2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Jay,
The '06 Pro Kids Go does come with a center fin box.
It's got some performance, but depending on your daughter's weight, and her ability to handle larger rigs, it may be awhile before she can fully tap into the performnace of the PK Go.
One of the earlier Starsurfers might be better.
What size rig (s) will she be using......?
This can be a very critical factor in planing performance and her ability to stay upwind.
Here's a link to the data on the 2006 archive:
http://2006.star-board.com/products/prokids.asp
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 1st September 2008 at 10:27 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Unregistered

Thanks Roger!!! Right now she is trying a 4 meter sail. She seems to be doing fine. She weighs 60 lbs, but don't know how well she will do with a 5.0 rig. I want to let her progress with the 4.0 and then see how it goes. Do you know if the center fin has a plug? If it does not, how will the board perform?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 6th September 2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Jay,
Wow, already on a 4 m sail.
Is she using a trainer type rig or a small wave sail type rig?
If she can handle a 4.0 m2 wave type rig, she could handle the 4.2 or 5.0 m2 Sailworks Retro Ripper 3 rigs very easily.
As far as a plug for the center fin box, yes all the Starboards that come with a center fin hole also come with a plug to fair it in when the center fin is not being used.
Actually, I've sailed many boards with a center fin box and no plug, and it does not impact the performance as much as you might think, plus you can always take a piece of duct tape and cover the center fin slot quite nicely.
Mostly, once you get planing, the center fin is nearly out of the water as the boad planes on surfaces further back under the board.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Unregistered

Roger,

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, my little one is already using a wave type rig. She has progressed very rapidly, and has me all charged up to get her a good board. Since the prokids Go 100 has the plug for the fin, then that's the board we are getting. I could use it too in high winds ;-) Once again, thank you very much for all your help.

Jay