Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 11th September 2008, 12:39 AM   #21
Duracell

Get yourself a new carbon boom at decathlon. Cheap, good and a fantastic 2 year warranty. Alu booms suck (I've gone through quite a few of them and have given up on them).
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 01:34 AM   #22
crazychemical

euhm ... by my knowledge Decathlon only sells alu booms by their brand... where did u buy ur C-boom by decathlon?
Old 11th September 2008, 02:49 AM   #23
Phill104

I've found the monocoque Aeron Alu booms to be superb. You can buy 4 of them for the same price as a cheap carbon boom. They are just as stiff, light and have a very good clamp. If alu booms were really as bad as Duracell seems to think I doubt the hire centres use them but they do. By the end of each seson the grip always looks knackered but so would any carbon boom.

I think the problem with Alu is the joins but as there are none in the current generation of Alu booms doing the rounds we seem to have the best of both worlds in a low price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 02:22 PM   #24
HotIce

Angry Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill104 View Post
I've found the monocoque Aeron Alu booms to be superb. You can buy 4 of them for the same price as a cheap carbon boom. They are just as stiff, light and have a very good clamp. If alu booms were really as bad as Duracell seems to think I doubt the hire centres use them but they do. By the end of each seson the grip always looks knackered but so would any carbon boom.

I think the problem with Alu is the joins but as there are none in the current generation of Alu booms doing the rounds we seem to have the best of both worlds in a low price.

I broke my monocoque Aeron Alu boom after about only 15 sessions.

Carbon is the only way to go.
Old 11th September 2008, 02:53 PM   #25
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIce View Post

Was it the tapered, narrow grip version?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 09:12 PM   #26
Phill104

Quote:

I broke someone elses Carbon boom after it had been used for about the same length of time.

You Irish sailors all sail like nutters anyway. It must be down to you getting propper waves instead of the ripples we get down our way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11th September 2008, 10:55 PM   #27
HotIce

Exclamation Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
Was it the tapered, narrow grip version?
Yes it was the tapered narrow grip version.

Why do you ask?
Old 12th September 2008, 12:42 AM   #28
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Yes it was the tapered narrow grip version.

Why do you ask?
Its just that I have a feeling the narrow diameter version is not so strong. The regular (which is not exactly "fat" either) is a better and stronger design.

In fact, anyone wanting very narrow diameter should definitely go for a carbon boom (for example the Aeron).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 12:53 AM   #29
NORTHY

Update - well after deliberating for an age (MS V Chinook etc - but both LOTS of money), i got offered a 6mth old Tecnolimits XTR carbon boom at the beach yesterday at a great price - my first carboon boom - cant wait to try it out on the water!
NORTHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 02:37 AM   #30
Phill104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
Its just that I have a feeling the narrow diameter version is not so strong. The regular (which is not exactly "fat" either) is a better and stronger design.

In fact, anyone wanting very narrow diameter should definitely go for a carbon boom (for example the Aeron).
Do you think the taper could be a weak point?

Surely the thinner diameter must have a thicker wall to compensate in the same way skinny masts do?

I am glad booms have become narrower. I used to get wrist cramp with my old jumbo.