Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 6th September 2008, 02:15 PM   #1
crazychemical

Default good budget booms

I wrecked my prolimit freemove boom 162-222 thursday and now i'm looking for a replacement. But guys have been telling me that the freemove simply broke because it isn't a very powerfull boom. that may very well be, and with my weight (95 k) i wouldn't be surpriced but since i don't have tons of money to spend and i do'nt want to buy second hand (you simply can't tell what the guy has done with the boom), i'm looking at a few other options and i was wondering if any of you have experience with the following:
mystic venom slalom boom?
Mystic Crossfire slalom boom?
(again) prolimit freemove (i liked the boom, it was light and i never had any stabilety problems with it and i simply broke by bad luck my guess)
Prolimit pro boom?

it really sucks that only a few brands chose to make 160-220 booms ... most only extend by 50 cm rather then 60 ...
Old 6th September 2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Unregistered

Unhappy

No such thing.
Most economical boom is a decent Carbon one.I`m 95 k also. Alloy booms never lasted more than couple of seasons for.Got an Amex Carbon (160 -220) now on its fifth !
Old 7th September 2008, 12:23 AM   #3
steveC

Really, you get what you pay for. The importance in that thought comes even more meaningful if you're a true heavyweight. So rather than look to the bargain side of the spectrum, I would step up to the premium side. I would recommend looking at the Maui Sails Carbon Wave 170-230. It is a 100% monocoque design with arguably the best front end design on the market. This boom is pricey, but in my opinion worth every penny (I own one).

If you are light on cash, think about using some credit to make up for the difference. Sure, using credit does cost you a bit extra, but building an excellent credit history is a good investment over the long haul, especially when it comes time to buy truly expensive items like a car, property, or even a good education.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 01:42 AM   #4
crazychemical

all good and well guys, but i'm a student, NO TENGO DINERO! I have no steady job (read, my yearly income is around 2000 €!) with which i need to pay parties, windsurfrepairstuff, new equipment, gas etc etc. I seriously can't afford carbon booms. And if i can avoid credit i will do so, i can think of better stuff to credit on.
I found the Nautix NX-TREM Slalom 1,65-2,15 interesting enough .. it's RDM boom it says on the nautix site and the price is reasonable (about 150, i was planning on going for 100 but k ... ). Some guys in Holland recommended Nautix for heavy guys but i think they refer to the Nautix Jumbo and they don't come in the right size (i need about 160-220 because i like to sail a maximum of my sails on the same boom, thats why the Freemove probably gave in, it was all i ever used (nearly) and i nearly always sail overpowered).
furthermore, if u do the maths and i spend 150 on a boom, i sail it for 3 years, that boom costs me 50 per annum .. if it lives, like the freemove, which costs less, 4 years i spend even less ... now how many years would i have to sail a Carbon boom to get the same costs epr annum? lets say they cost about 450 ... so at least 9 years, how many of you made your slalom booms live for that long?

Last edited by crazychemical; 7th September 2008 at 03:38 AM.
crazychemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Unregistered

maui sails aluminum boom, a bit heavier than carbon, but quite stiff and a great value
Old 7th September 2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Unregistered

Talking

If I was in your position I`d definitely go second hand carbon.
Any alloy boom will bend/break in 95K crashes.They also corrode from inside after 3/4 seasons.
Look at Amex.(A nearly new Amex 100% went for 120 on Ebay;looked mint)
Price/performance Amex best on Market.
Old 7th September 2008, 04:47 PM   #7
crazychemical

the problem with 2nd hand i have is that you can never really tell how good the guy is. If this guy can't surf overpowered properly and crashes every so often even the his carbon boom will be damaged on a fibral level and i might end up with a boom that cracks in half after a season because i too tend to crash quite a few times when there's a strong wind blowing (thats why i was already surprised i hadn't cracked the boom before). So u may end up buying an expensive second hand boom that'll crack just as fast as a cheaper alloy rdm boom.
Old 7th September 2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

Is that really true, Haiko? I'm not sure carbon fails in that way, ie slowly getting worse crash by crash (aluminum do though, it has no fatigue level so each and every little strain add up to a failure sooner or later).

Of course there might be structural damages that is not easy to spot on a used carbon boom, but personally I think that a boom (or mast for that matter) that has seen some hard use and still seems to be intact is usually a good buy. I have not really heard of people breaking old carbon boom more than new ones.

But in the end it depends on price too and even a good used carbon boom is more expensive than a god new alu boom. An alu boom I've tried that seems strong and stiff is the non tapered version of the Aeron boom.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 07:43 PM   #9
crazychemical

from what i understand from any fiber construction is that it is shock sensitive. The more you shake it around and the harder you do, the more you damage the fibres inside the structure. Booms and masts are made to absorb shocks from transport (small vibrations etc) but for larger crashes it can't always do so which internally shakes up the fibres making it more sensitive. Thats why masts break. In my experience, 100 % masts, the larger ones, seem to break even more easily then the less carbon content ones.
Look at it this way: take a carbon boom and a hammer and start knocking on it. At first you won't see anything happening, but you know you've weakened a certain area. Then you go sailing, hook in the cords and crash before you have the chance to unhook, you fly forward and the boom breakes. Now, where do you think the boom will most likely break? now leave aside the hammer and just crash your boom in the water at a nice fierce speed a few times, do you see where i'm getting at?
Alu booms break because a combination of internal damage and fatigue. Do the same thing with them, they'll break. Their extra dissadvantage is that metal gets fatigued and corroded which makes boom breakage of alu booms more frequent then boom breakage of C-booms.
I've been looking at the Amex booms, their freestyle boom seems interesting: 160-220 with a 32-26-29 diameter construction. But i cant seem to find them in mainland Europe (mainly Belgium, Holland or Germany, perhaps North of France).
Aeron only has one boom that fits the measurement i want, the T6 165-215 and i find that a bit too marginal. The sail i used most with the old one has a 212-214 boom size and i used a 162-222 boom on it so i always had a few spare cm's.
Old 7th September 2008, 09:19 PM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

But I never had a mast break from lots of use. In fact, when I have a mast that has survived lots of wave punishment, I prefer to take that mast the next time I go out in big wave instead of a new, unproven one. Hence I have masts that has survived quite a lot of punishment for years. On the other hand I've often broken almost new masts quite a few times. Maybe just a matter of coincidence, but it is not _that_ unlikely that there are slight variations in built between individual samples.

In any case, I never had a old well used carbon mast or boom fail in a "surprising" manner (ie in a way that lead me to believe it was weakened from use). I've had issues were a bond has failed over time, but that is not really the carbon structure itself and it's not relevant on monocoque booms.

Boards are a different thing, but then there is almost always the core or sw foam that weakens and breaks up eventually.

Anyone else have that have experience failures of carbon masts or boom that they think has to do with wear? (Exclude 100% carbon race masts. They are built so close to the limit that the slightest little damage will weaken the mast.)
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote