Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th October 2008, 07:53 PM   #111
Unregistered

Hi Remi,

What's the target price for the FOD kit?

What will happen if the IOC does not chose FOD for the OG? Will be a class anyway or you guys will just forget it?

You know, it's almost impossible to regular guys like me to race FW these days, I didn't win in the lottery and can't pay US$ 1,000.00 or more in a fin, US$ 1,200.00 in a new sail (just one)... I really hope the FOD to fire up, so we can race in a good leveled class.

Please guys, don't come with the longboard thing, the class virtually doesn't exist in my country.

Thanks.
Old 25th October 2008, 04:37 PM   #112
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi Remi,
I didn't win in the lottery and can't pay US$ 1,000.00 or more in a fin,
If you want to pay 300 euros for a deb fin and loose the quality, you currently have to buy 3-4 fins to get a decent one.
With the kashy's you simply buy 1 and know what you are getting.
You keep it for 2-3 years and sell it and buy a new one.
Whats the difference? You have to pay for quality.
You think the r-20 production fin the FOD will be supplied with will be any better than the previous debs?

There is a place for everything, including the FOD - alongside the Formula class.
Like Remi mentioned, its not the best, but better than any alternative at the moment.
Old 25th October 2008, 08:34 PM   #113
Unregistered

Quote:
If you want to pay 300 euros for a deb fin and loose the quality, you currently have to buy 3-4 fins to get a decent one.
With the kashy's you simply buy 1 and know what you are getting.
You keep it for 2-3 years and sell it and buy a new one.
Whats the difference? You have to pay for quality.
You think the r-20 production fin the FOD will be supplied with will be any better than the previous debs?

There is a place for everything, including the FOD - alongside the Formula class.
Like Remi mentioned, its not the best, but better than any alternative at the moment.
I Just think I can pay for the FOD kit and can't pay for FW with this lunar prices, that's it.
Old 26th October 2008, 05:29 AM   #114
Unregistered

You get what you pay for.
Old 26th October 2008, 01:32 PM   #115
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi All,

The FOD have been create to have enought good equipment to race between 6 to 25 knots at a inexpensive price.

For the last World we receive and use 10 FOD fins from Deboichet and all of them was good but yes way cheaper than a Kashy who is at 1800$ while the all FOD kit is at 2532€ without VAT.

The FOD is a good alternative to race at a resonable price and enjoy your self.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2008, 01:37 AM   #116
Unregistered

...but what happens when you start mass producing the FOD?
Every other price of one design windsurfing equipment has always had tolerance problems!
In previous olympic quads, sailors would be forced to buy 10 different fins to fin one that worked. Deb hasn't proven they can make a consistent fin yet. How will this be any different?
Old 27th October 2008, 03:01 AM   #117
Unregistered

Remi,

I just want to know this: FOD will be a class even if it would not be chosen for the OG?
Old 27th October 2008, 05:01 PM   #118
Unregistered

Quote:
If you speak to top laser sailors, there is great difficulty in policing kenetics in a laser with DSQs and other stuff going on all the time.

With a rig that pivots, and a logical reason to encourage pumping (to get planing) I can't see how a high level competition in windsurfing can avoid pumping - the Kona is ok now (I assume we are talking about the Kona) but as soon as a higher level is going on, the pumping will come back; for sure the Kona will plane up earlier with pumping than not (as will any board or boat).

So...the idea of less pumping is theoretically good, but you do still always have to have some and then how to police the rest??

Not an easy one.

BTW this 6 knot limit is theoretically in place for the 49ers and Tornados, i.e. it is not only for windsurfers AFAIK.
I do speak to top Laser sailors (had a former world champ, just back from the Olympics, around here Sunday and Wednesday last), I've got a couple of Laser title wins, and I'm welcome to train with the national Olympic Laser squad.

There are rules on pumping, we follow them, at world titles there are judges. It's no big deal.

If it stunk, we wouldn't have the situation where the sport is so popular that even those over 65 years old have to qualify at their national titles to be allowed into the over-65 year old Laser world titles.

Sure, sometimes people get DSQd for pushing the pumping rules. Sometimes people get
DSQd for pushing start lines too hard. Sometimes people get DSQd for pushing the port/starboard rule too hard. Sometimes football players get penalised for offside, sometimes cricket players get penalised for LBW, sometimes rugby players get penalsied for forward pass. No big deal, there's the rules and you follow them.

We used to ban pumping in Olympic class boards, the Olympic coach kept an eye on us at local regattas to check that no one pumped outside the rules. No big problem.

Are the gains worth the policing? That's a fair question. But there is no question that it is possible to restrict pumping and do it very effectively.
Old 30th October 2008, 08:54 PM   #119
Unregistered

Quote:
Remi,

I just want to know this: FOD will be a class even if it would not be chosen for the OG?
I'm interested in this too. If FOD for some reason does not get selected for the Olympics in 2012 will starboard promote it as a new class anyway. I like the idea because it eliminates the gear race and allows people who can not keep up with it to be competitive. Also, it would allow FOD to prove itself for the next Olympics in 2016. I would like to add, I hope it gets selected for 2012.
Old 30th October 2008, 09:33 PM   #120
WILDWINDSCA

O.D. is the way to go IMHO.
Open class i think is good for testing the limits, because then it becomes a development class , but then money does become an issue.
Starboard can be complimented for proposing this format, which if it does happen i hope they stand by their word and dont escalate the price as some companies have done.
The issue is this windsurfing like many sports costs money. Tell me how many one board sailors you know?
Thus keeping prices down may even encourage existing sailors with alot of kit, to buy the FOD and start participating.

shredulato

Starboard evo 92, Stype 104, Formula 155,
Kinetic 295, Tiga 268
lots of sails , prototype 8.5, Naish 7.2, Aerotech 6.8, Severne blade- 6.2, 5.8,Naish 6.0, Neil pryde 5.2, 4.2 some good..some junk
'lots of boxes of "odds and ends" that i cannot throw out as they"may" be needed one day.
see alot of stuff...
old 1997 astro van, 3400 bucks ( more money fer kit)
WILDWINDSCA is offline   Reply With Quote