Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 13th September 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
realtorryan

Default Want to restart windsurfing after 5 years off

Im 33 years old 6 feet and 200lbs and have owned two windsurfs in my life. I dont know much about the technical windsurfing equipment but I do know how to windsurf on a lake here in Indiana. Its not high performance out here I just sorta cruised around the lake but there were times when I would lean back and ride on top of the water "plane". It was the best feeling!! My goal is to get back into the sport for exercise and fun! My last mistral board had the dagger board break and my wife dropped the piece that attaches the board to the sail. It was kind junk because it has movable parts and they ended up braking too. I never replaced it. I guess I need a sturdy board and rigg? What size sail do I need, what size board do I need? and what extras do I need? What should be my budget and where do i get the BEST DEAL?
realtorryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 04:19 PM   #2
crazychemical

you want to plane but in order to know what board to choose we need to know how strong the wind blows on your spot on an average windsurfday.
From what i can tell i think you'd be best served with a 10.5 mē rig on a formula experience board or one of the larger futuras/carves.
Best deals are always to be got on local windsurfforums or on online second hand websites. I have no idea where those r to be found near you but i'm sure others will know.
Old 13th September 2008, 10:58 PM   #3
PG

The Formula windsurfing thing is certainly one avenue to go, but it is very performance oriented with big sails and planing only. I would say that it is "sports", not recreation.

To me it sounds like if you would be the cruising type that enjoys the occasional planing no and then. And the more planing the better of course.

For maximum versatility in different conditions you should check out the new breed of longboards. Starboard has the Phantom Race 320, and RRD has the Longrider, and KONA One is certainly a good option (the step tail on the two latter boards DOES work just as advertised!).
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 11:04 PM   #4
PG

Well, forgot to answer a few of your questions. I think you should look for a board that is 320-350 cm long (about 70 cm wide), a sail (with mast, boom, extension, mastfoot) of about 8 m2. You should expect to pay just below 2000 dollars for a full package.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 09:25 PM   #5
James

Hi Realtorryan,

I agree with PG that you're probably in the market for a modern longboard. You could go long and narrow or short and wide, depending on what type of uses you have in mind. Check out my post below, which addresses board choices and stuff.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/20...-answered.html

Good luck,
James
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 01:25 AM   #6
sergio k

I think, it really depends on local wind conditions and what do you like,
if you like planing, power and your wind conditions on avg. >7 knots-> go formula or smaller board route;
if cruising is more important or/and the winds are super light, than long board would be a good choice