Old 14th September 2008, 11:13 AM   #1
hugomac

Default Recommended Formula Equipment

Hi All,

I live in SF and I am looking to start racing formula. Looks the Starboard is the right Formula board. What about sails? Anyone have any recommendations on the ideal formula rig?

Thanks!
Stokes
hugomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 06:34 PM   #2
PG

Based on recent results, and top rider's preferences, it looks as if the Starboard 162 isn't ideal in the pretty windy environment in SF-bay. The older Starboards, the 161, the 160, seem to be at least as competitive when it is windy. Both Exocet and Gaastra seem competitive this year.

In rigs it looks as if Pryde and Gaastra have a leg up on the rest of the competition.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 05:54 AM   #3
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
Based on recent results, and top rider's preferences, it looks as if the Starboard 162 isn't ideal in the pretty windy environment in SF-bay. The older Starboards, the 161, the 160, seem to be at least as competitive when it is windy. Both Exocet and Gaastra seem competitive this year.

In rigs it looks as if Pryde and Gaastra have a leg up on the rest of the competition.
I would check with local racing group there, what they are using, I thought
Mike's Lab formula boards and North sails where favorites in SF
Old 15th September 2008, 10:09 AM   #4
James

Yeah, ask the other racers there in SF, because they race in much windier conditions and thus favor different gear than "typical" formula racers.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
hugomac

Thanks everyone. I am going to check out a race this week so I will ask.
Best
stokes
Old 15th September 2008, 10:24 PM   #6
G-42

Stokes,
as someone who's lived and raced in the Bay Area in the past - it's a great fleet to hang with. Very deep talent pool, very competitive, and very friendly and supportive.

Incidentally - you're in probably the best place in the country for picking up very gently used gear at a huge discount, while getting the advantage of having the previous owner helping you tune it (and tune it for your local conditions). Check the calcup site (www.calcupevents.com), and also check the classifieds on iwindsurf.

Cheers,
-Andreas

http://g-42.blogspot.com
G-42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 11:12 PM   #7
hugomac

Default Great to Hear

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the insight on bay area fleet. I am super excited to get back into windsurfing. I sailed from the age of 14 to 32 without missing a beat. Lived in the gorge for three summers and windsurfing is what brought me to SF. Now, I have a family and a job and windsurfing has taken a back seat (never thought the day would come). I've been itching to race and formula seems like a great place to get back in. All the better that the fleet is supportive and friendly because its been a long time since I've competed. It's good that they are competitive because it will push me to learn quickly. I will definitely take up your advice and look for some used equipment to get started with as well as a few tips.

All the Best,
Stokes
Old 17th September 2008, 02:55 AM   #8
G-42

Stokes,
one more cool thing about Formula in the Bay Area, especially for those of us with jobs and families, is that you can pretty much schedule your sessions. It's very rare to hit any afternoon between, say, late March and late October where you won't be able to sail. That kind of reliability is pretty rare in this sport - take advantage of it!

-Andreas

http://g-42.blogspot.com
G-42 is offline   Reply With Quote