Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th September 2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Albert Chan

Angry NP racing sail downhaul

Why do NP racing sail need SO MUCH downhaul compare to other sail brand . Do they
ever think it will break the mast so easy ? Crazy !

Albert .
Old 25th September 2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Polis

if NP doesn't do this, pretty soon, they will sell less masts than other brands....
Old 26th September 2008, 12:09 AM   #3
nonopr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Chan View Post
Why do NP racing sail need SO MUCH downhaul compare to other sail brand . Do they
ever think it will break the mast so easy ? Crazy !

Albert .
I guess you broke your mast???
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 05:51 AM   #4
Philip

Yep certainly need a downhaul tool if only to fine tune the right amount of downhaul - this kind of sail deserves good rigging. The NP website has good video of how to get the most out of the RS series. When rigged right goes like a straight arrow. Depending on your application use the X6 mast.

Last edited by Philip; 26th September 2008 at 06:00 AM.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Unregistered

I wouldn t buy a sail on how much downhaul it needs, just get a good DH tool

anyway try Maui Sails

they are smoother easier rigging, very large rigging range

likely the fastest out there

while Pryde could be the fastest of those with big $$$ marketing. Still fantastic sails also

gets down to sailor, rigging and sailing skills, if good board and aftermarket fin are givens
Old 26th September 2008, 01:50 PM   #6
geo

Can confirm about Maui Sails. Very easy rigging, will perform nicely whatever the DH tension applied (reasonably). Of course, fine tuning makes things even better. Try them.
Only, be cautious: they work in a different way, and just a brief sailing test may result in one looking for that NP/North "hard" feeling that simply can not be there no matter how one tries, and ultimately in overdownhauling oversheeting and killing the sail's performances. One hint: in my experience, suggested DH settings are to be interpreted as high wind settings and measure must be taken between the mast bottom inside the sleeve and the front lower "corner" of the sail's pulley, that's the way Barry checks it. In practice, since the sail has a large tack flap, add 4 cms. to the suggested extension setting and downhaul until you have 3 to 5 cms. between the pulleys (this of course depends on the extension one uses). Take your time, be aware the sails will not pull sideways that much (low back hand in TR-3s, even lower in TR-4s) but still will pull a lot in the RIGHT direction (front!). Also be sure to rig them on right masts (Maui Sails SRS 100%, or older Gaastras up to '06). You will discover a new sailing experience, have plenty speed (low back hand may even lead to use a smaller/softer fin) and understand that "mainstream" definitely is not the only way to go.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Unregistered

Hi Geo,

I read your comment about the hard feeeling about NP/North. I sailed Nitros 2 and 3 some years ago (Barry's designs), and the sails felt so light in my hands, were the best sails I've had so far, and I'd like to know if the TR's have the same feeling. I'm curious about the Maui's TRs because nobody uses them here and I'm thinking about to buy some Maui TRs.
Thanks, good winds.
Old 26th September 2008, 06:16 PM   #8
nonopr

Be the only one, be differret in a good way. I am the only person using Maui Sails In Puerto Rico and I love the fact that I am fast and that no one has my sails too.
Very easy to rig. I just got a new Isonic 111 and Maui Sails 7.6 TR4/mast and boom with 42cm Vector Fin and the rig felt like I rode that rig for the last year. First time I rig all.
Incredible. From the get go everything felt perfect. Props to Maui Sails and Starboard.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 08:51 PM   #9
geo

Hi unregistered,
I don't have that much experience on older Barry's designs, but my TR-2s were direct descendants of your Nitros, so maybe the comparison will hold. TR-3s felt more powerful but had better range and were easier at top end. TR-4s have even better range at top end while giving up no power at all. The light feeling is still there, only extended in higher wind speeds. I think I can hold my current TR-4 7.0 in higher winds than I was able to sail my TR-2 6.6 in, and with more ease.
I think it's puzzling how people go on purchasing sails that do not perform, or take forever to figure out correct setting, or are conceived for Hulk racers only, or give lots of troubles just to detect which masts will work on without breaking, or a combination of those; while disregard superfast, easy to use, light feeling, nicely engineered rig offerings from the most experienced people in the industry.

Last edited by geo; 26th September 2008 at 08:54 PM.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Unregistered

Hi,

I use x9 equipment/ RSR sails. No problems here. Since I got the Neilpryde MXT extender I pull the sail downhaul by hand.

BTW I broke more 'other' brand masts a year than NP X9 masts this year. Neilpryde has fixed the mastbreak problem. I sail from 7.8 and smaller.

Hangloose