Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 4th September 2008, 10:06 PM   #1
ml57

Default serenity 2008/9 dilemma

An exdemo 2007/8 serenity is available for me at a reasonable
discount off the new price. I've read the description of the enhancements for the 2009 model, but it is hard to get a feel for their magnitude: marginal or significant?

Can anyone who has ridden both give me an idea? Is the mkII only slightly different to sail, or would I be mad not to wait a few weeks until the 2009 is available?

Mike
ml57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
ml57

Still looking for an input on this: anyone ridden both? Roger?

Someone else wanted to know if the MkII would be more of a handful if the wind picked up.
?ideas.

Since the big price increases this year have come through 'reasonable discount' above now means 'half price'!

Mike
Old 7th October 2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Mike;
I try both of them and the new get on the rail more quickly and go truth the waves more easily with more speed.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 09:38 PM   #4
ml57

Thanks Remi

Is the new one more unforgiving if the wind picks up and you need to get home overpowered?

Mike
Old 8th October 2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Mike,

I found the new one more stable, so more easy when the wind pick up, but yes it's not a high wind machine.

All the best
Old 8th October 2008, 02:13 PM   #6
ml57

Thanks Remi, that's very helpful. Sounds like mkII is a significant enough upgrade to be worth passing on the mkI.

Mike
Old 9th October 2008, 02:55 AM   #7
steveC

Hi Remi,

Out of curiousity, do you think performance improvements in the 2009 model are more attributable to the revised bottom shape or the new fin in the tail?

I expect to receive my new Serenity (the 2007/2008 model) in the next week or two, but I could ultimately consider adding a finbox in the future. From what I understand, the initial model tended to pivot or wobble a bit with just the single fin/dagger concept, thereby not tracking as directly. Tiesda indicated earlier that the 2009 model has a rounder bottom, particularly in the tail area, allowing it to rail easier, but I'm thinking that the rear fin still must impart some benefit. Your thoughts?
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi SteeveC,

The extrat fin give more direction stability help a little bit to get on the rail, but it's particulaly the new deck shape who help to get on the rail quicker.

The new nose help also in the choppy water, the board go thruth more easilly.

All the best
Old 9th October 2008, 03:33 PM   #9
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Dear Remi,

Would you mind to explain how the new Serenity's deck helps to get a better ride ? Are the rails more boxy, more vertical, with a 45 degree upper bevel to get a better grip with the foot? Is the nose sharper and pointier to better pierce through chop/swell? Is the new nose less sensitive to sudden braking when going submarine and literally piercing through chop/swell? Does the tail fin impair change in direction, i.e., when tacking and jibing on a tight radius?

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 05:06 PM   #10
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi SteeveC,

The extrat fin give more direction stability help a little bit to get on the rail, but it's particulaly the new deck shape who help to get on the rail quicker.

The new nose help also in the choppy water, the board go thruth more easilly.

All the best