Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 26th September 2008, 09:24 PM   #11
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Hi unregistered,

I think it's puzzling how people go on purchasing sails that do not perform, or take forever to figure out correct setting, or are conceived for Hulk racers only, or give lots of troubles just to detect which masts will work on without breaking, or a combination of those; while disregard superfast, easy to use, light feeling, nicely engineered rig offerings from the most experienced people in the industry.
You mean Neilpryde RS Racing? Haha, I know for sure you have never tryed one. And if you did it was probaly rigged like hell. LOL, a good friend of mine changed a TR-3 for a RS:Racing because it was WAY faster... His weight??? 60kg

RS:Racing just for fat boys? = NOT true
X9 breaks every year = NOT true

RS:Racing fastest sail on planet = true
Old 27th September 2008, 04:15 AM   #12
Tim Fast

I can confirm no need for me to go away from NP,

the speed and performance of the sails is just outstanding , and I agree with the MXT and good rope no prob to pull the DH appropriately.

I broke my last X9 two years ago, seems really to me that they fixed (or at least improved) the quality of the masts.

SB and NP = unbeatable combo (mostly
Tim Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 11:10 AM   #13
Unregistered

yes, GEO I agree

it is far more about experience

I have sailed various designs of Barry's from NP

and from Nitro 3 4 .... to tr 1 2 3 and 4

They have always been super fast and easy

The new TR-3 and 4 are a further step up. They are a head of the bell curve on rigging support as well.

Information is offered and shared all good too
Old 27th September 2008, 06:24 PM   #14
geo

Poster #11: isn't Neil Pryde still offering their masts with a six month warranty (http://rsracing.neilpryde.com/x9-ult...arranty.html)? I guess they know better than you...
As for speed, I don't know... what I see is everything goes, at an high enough level: top racers are winning with NP RS:R, Warps, Vapors, TR-s, anything. Oh well, KP past year did nicely on TR-3s against competitors 10 to 25 kgs. heavier than him, and "recreational sailor" Martin Van Meurs clocked 50+ on a TR-3, and 46+ on a 6.3 TR-3 and iSonic 86, so probably Maui Sails are at least right up there about speed.
My point is that I prefer to have, or, better say: I think it is preferrable to have rigs that deliver outstanding and reliable performances, are easy to use, feel nice also under the hands of ordinary sailors and are easy to setup well right from the first time out. In my view, I know of one only sailmaker producing slalom gear up to ALL such requirements. All others, by direct experience or by word of mouth not denied by owners, or even sailmakers themselves as in the case of NP's mast warranties, fall short of one or more.

Last edited by geo; 27th September 2008 at 06:27 PM.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 03:16 AM   #15
peter n-m

I think there's a lot of different experiences with the RS Racing sails. Here's one:
http://www.peterman.dk/windsurf-NP-RS-series-780gb.htm

Regards
Peter
peter n-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 04:33 AM   #16
Philip

That is a comprehensive review for sure! Same experience with camber strings, fin sizing, batten tension v. cam rotation and de-rig. That said there is not a sail I have owned over the years without its particular issues and breakages - really a question of knowing what to look for. On the RS Racing the article is an excellent primer.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 05:48 AM   #17
nonopr

Peter n-m you killed RS Sails with this review. I am glad I use Maui Sails now.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 01:18 PM   #18
geo

Very interesting. I didn't know all that: I discarded NP just because of reported mast failures, "limited" mast warranty and the stiff hard feel described at the beginning of Peter's report. It's hard to believe a race sail in 2008 still may have so many issues, and in some cases very silly ones as the luff cracking.

In my experience TR's don't break tip battens, at least in the smallish sizes I use. But at times the lowest cam tends to be stuck on the mast when derigging, which I do by just releasing DH tension. From now on, I'll better pop that cam off before releasing tension, or at least open up its zipper in order to release some tension.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 08:09 PM   #19
Unregistered

What's the word on 2006 North formula sails? I have opportunity to buy 11.0 with mast pretty cheap. Should I pay more for newer sail or different brand?
thanks!
Old 30th September 2008, 12:34 AM   #20
peter n-m

Hi unregistered (#19),

I had one for 1 year. I forund it of very good built quality (never one breakdown), pretty powerful and a little heavy feeling. The mast (the 2006 Platinum 550 cm) is a little stiff compared to other 550 cm masts (measured to 36.5, see http://www.peterman.dk/masts-all-imcs01.htm ), and this might ad to my view, that the rigg is perhaps best for a little heavier sailors.
If you promise not to laugh too much, you can see the sail (the white sail) in action here: http://www.peterman.dk/windsurfvideo...tro-gb-780.htm .

Regards
Peter
peter n-m is offline   Reply With Quote