Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th January 2009, 02:21 AM   #1
Per

Default Max speed - bigger Isonics?

Hi..
I could do +30 knots on my old Carve 145 with a 6.5 no cam freerace sail.
I'm about to purchase a bigger Isonic (probably 122) and wonder how much more max speed I should expect from this dedicated race board. Did anyone measure the bigger Isonics?
How will they - for freerace fun use - carry smaller sails if I just want to squeeze them for fun?

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Waiting4wind

I don't think that a 6.5m no cam would be fun on an Isonic 122. You may be better of looking at a Futura. That sail wouldn't drive the board efficiently, you need a good slalom sail to trim the board properly.
Waiting4wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 05:48 PM   #3
pfaffi

Send a message via Skype™ to pfaffi

I did 36,9kn (68,4km/h) with my iS135, 38 fin and Severne SSR 7,6 in Egypt on a superb speed strip. In normal usual conditions I could reach 32kn as max speed with this combo.

"Live begins at 40kn!!"

peter
pfaffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 08:27 PM   #4
MacTS

I can second Pfaffi´s view. I have (max speed) reached 33,1 knots on a similar sized big slalom board (78 cm wide, 128 ltr volume) on reasonably flat water. Could probably go a bit quicker on a good speedstrip.
I used 7,8 and 41 cm fin for those speeds.
MacTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Per

Hi and thanks.
Quite amazing speeds for such big boards. It seems like a sail around 7.5 is quite speedy. How much wind did you sail in?
Are there actually a lot of difference in max speed on these boards compared to the smaller Isonics if each respective board is used in its favourite windrange? I mean, except for the specialized speedsailors on very narrow slalomboards I know few sailors who - in normal everyday life conditions - can go much more than 35 knots? Im 95 kgs and my personal max was 31.9 on a S-type 115 in very choppy conditions (I don't have a speed strip)..

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 07:31 PM   #6
pfaffi

my top speed until now on iSonic87, 31cm fin and my 7,6SSR: 40,6kn on flat water in Egypt.
see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eugNxJHohwk

In our choppy home conditions (Neusiedlersee/Austria) I am fighting with 36kn.
On an average day I am always reaching in choppy conditions the 32kn with iS 50, 87 and 111 and sails 6,6 up to 8,3
I am 90kg, 185cm, do Slalom and Formula competitions in Europe and since my first days of windsurfing going for speed.
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:35 PM   #7
crazychemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffi View Post
"Live begins at 40kn!!"

peter
And ends with a catapult

sorry this has nothing to do with the topic, i just really wanted to make that comment... but i always say the board is never faster then it's rider. just try and fly dude

don't drink and drive
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:22 AM   #8
Screamer

Hi Per

regarding your thoughts in the first post, you can expect much more speed compared to Carve145, both subjectively and gps numbers. As for small sails in freeride mode, iS122 is not very fun. It likes to be driven hard, lots of sail power, not very maneuverable, etc (but fantastic gybe). I use one and love it, my small sail for that board is a 3-cam 7.3, and I wouldn't like to go smaller than that (I've tried).
Caution: with a big rig (say 9.0) and around 115 lit real volume, iS122 can be a near sinker for your weight if the wind drops. Otherwise a fantastic board with a great wind range.

"Are there actually a lot of difference in max speed on these boards compared to the smaller Isonics if each respective board is used in its favourite windrange? I mean, except for the specialized speedsailors on very narrow slalomboards I know few sailors who - in normal everyday life conditions - can go much more than 35 knots? Im 95 kgs and my personal max was 31.9 on a S-type 115 in very choppy conditions (I don't have a speed strip).."

If you choose to ride a smaller board, you do it not ONLY because of the higher max speed but also because of the water state, handling and/or general feel. One of my mates measured around 37 knots max on an iS133, but on mirror flat water and super steady wind.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Screamer

Hey Pfaffi

Congratulations! It looks good in that video clip when you go from beam reach to very broad - just like fired from a slingshot ;-)

Btw, isn't a 7.6 a bit big for iS87? I ask because I used 7.5 on iS96 and I felt on the upper sail limit.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 02:46 PM   #10
pfaffi

Hi Screamer!
On my iS87 I use the 6,6 and 7,6, both combos I like very much! Only in competition I use the 5,6 on iS87. In private I change when 5,6 or smaller is needed on my iS50.
BR peter