Unregistered

Default New speed record

Seems that AA just lost his speed sailing record to a kitesurfer:
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/news//1...h-crossbow-ids
Old 29th September 2008, 05:56 PM   #2
toddewoell

since this happened on the 19th of september,
thats not real news...

that place is fast, but like elsewhere you have to hit the right conditions.

see www.luderitz-speed.com for additional info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
toddewoell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Unregistered

Wink

Might not be news for you, but for the ones that don't check all possible websites on a daily basis it might be.........

Anyway, thanks for the additional info! Seems to be a great spot for speed surfing! Didn't really know it. Let's hope AA, BD or any other windsurfer can bring that record back to windsurfing!!
Old 30th September 2008, 03:05 AM   #4
crazychemical

there still is the 50 knot barrier! we can still make it. have faith in the speedseakers, AA, Martin Van Meurs, Dunckerbeck, we just need to hit he right conditions at the right time! Let's show those kiteguys windsurfers are still kings of the wind!
Old 30th September 2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Per

News to me too, but not a surprise. The engineering of a kite and the additional board just screams on downwind speed. In our local races the kites have begun to beat the formula guys on a race course. Kitesurfing is seriousely innovative these days, whereas windsurfing seems a little on the conservative side. I've never tried kitesurfing and I love windsurfing, so no offence. Anyway the 50 knot barrier is THE task and WS is still in the game..
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Unregistered

hi per
I didn't know kites went upwind !!
well kite go upwind a little bit not very well.

But If they are beating formula boards I guess im wrong
Old 1st October 2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Per

Neither did I, until I saw the boards the local kiters are working with. They make their own shapes and fins and experiment a lot. I'm an amateur formula sailor and on a good day I only point something like 5 degrees higher than the kiters (course race kiters). Downwind I'm dead meat. The serious formula sailors do point noticeable higher, but speed is equal and downwind definetely in favour of the kiters.
Funny developement. Five years ago I outblasted any kiter anywhere by just being on a plane on my windsurfer ;-)
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:26 AM   #8
Ken

At the US Wind and water Open last May in Corpus Christi, the kiters raced the same Formula course as the Formula class with an upwind leg of 1200 to 1500 meters. We alternated racing on the course, so while the Formula racers were on shore, we timed the kiters around the course. There were two or three of them that were significanty faster than the rest and got around the course in about the same time as the top half of the formula fleet.

No doubt that they can do very well next to Formual boards. Winds as I recall were in the 15 to 20 knot range. The best Formula sailors against the best kiters? Who knows.

Their boards were shaped more like small surf boards with much larger fins than the standard kite boards. My recollection is that the fins were around 10cm and there were at least two, sometimes three.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 02:16 AM   #9
Unregistered

I always thought it would be great to get the very best together to find the fastest single hander around a course across the condition range. Figured on A cats, hydro moths & formula. So now it seems kites would have to join the party too.
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:48 PM   #10
Unregistered

With the hydro moths they were design to lift up and start foiling at slow speeds sacrificing its top speed. It doesn't go much faster than 20 knots.

A bit like the formula philosphy except the formula boards drag maxes out at about 30knots.

The moths are very impressive and a massive leap from the old design now called sea huggers.

I sail a sea hugger it was regarded a the hardest boat to sail but I hear the foiling boats are easier.