Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 25th September 2008, 11:45 AM   #1
bazza

Smile More Heavyweight Advice

Hello again Roger. I am the 235 lbs 58 year old who has a 2002 Start with 70cm fin.
I have come across a 2002 Formula 186 wood for sale at a very good price. This board is similar in shape to my Start of the same year but weighs 5 kgs less! The only review that I found says that it is very difficult to control this board. If you remember this model can you comment on it? Is it too much of a jump for me? I like the idea of 186 litres of volume but am afraid that it will be too hard to control. Thanks in advance for your perspective.
bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi again Bazza,
If you do not plan to go Formula racing, just want an earlier planing light wind board, I don't think you will have any problem with the F-186 from 2002.
Be advised that the F-186 is from the "virtual volume" era, but fortunately, the F-186 has the hghest volume (172 liters) of any of the formula boards from that era.
So, if you can get it at a good price, and you have an 11.0 m2 Retro, you should be all set.
Don't think you will find any larger sails that have more light wind "juice" than the 11.0 m2 Retro.
As far as "hard to control", I think that refers to very high wind conditions in a formula racing scenario.
Very different than what you seem to want.
There may also be some fins larger than 70 cm that might be good for a big guy like you.
GSport (in the Gorge) made some 80 and 85 cm fins (not legal for formula racing) that might help a big guy get going a little sooner.
I had the F-186, and had no trouble sailing it as an early planing board and I only weighed about 165 lbs.
Go for it!
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 08:18 AM   #3
bazza

Smile

Once again your advice and historical knowledge are invaluable Roger! Unfortunately for me the 186 that I spoke of yesterday has been sold to another person. I'll stay optimistic that I'll locate a good used light air board before next spring. Any advice that you have on that front would always be appreciated.
Old 26th September 2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Brian S

Bazza,
I owned a F186 and it is a great light wind machine. I suspect that "difficult to control" comment has to do with the boxy, sharp rails on that board. If you get that board going in choppy water, you have to really "manage" the board to avoid getting pushed around. If you're not an accomplished sailor, I think Roger could point you to other boards that are more forgiving.
Brian
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 08:54 AM   #5
bazza

Smile

Thanks for your knowledge Brian. I'm certainly not an Accomplished sailor. I get in the straps and have had the Start skipping across the water at speeds that seem very fast to me (noone on the water is blowing past me). I can relate to what you mean about choppy water - the Start even needs to be managed at full speed in these conditions so perhaps such a light weight board like the 186 may be too much.
Roger, might there be better boards for me at my 235 lb weight? I really only want to have one board for all wind conditions. Is the BIC Techno Formual a better choice?
By the way, I bought a 78cm fin from Gsport that you had on demo.