Old 5th December 2008, 10:49 PM   #1
marek

Default Gave up with Carve 111

Hi all,

Shame on me, but I gave up with this board and traded it yesterday (+ some $$$) for a used Tabou Rocket 125 2006.

It'll give me more buoyancy and it's wider (69/245 cm) than my Carve 2004 (64/259 cm). Seems like 2006 is a more modern design. I hope it will be a better transition board for me than C111, which I was able to sail only a couple of times this season and never got really comfortable on it.
So F-type sessions always felt like fun whereas C111 sessions were like "obligatory learning" if you know what I mean.

I also traded in my 6.0 3-cam Gaastra GTX for a 6.4 Gaastra Remedy (just wanted a light, easy handling sail, easy to waterstart).

F-type and 7.5 and 9.8 GTXes stay though - really great stuff.

-marek
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 01:07 AM   #2
Ellen Faller
Dream Team - School

Hello Marek,
Sometimes, a sailor makes a move to a board that is just a bit too small and that provides more challenge and less fun than hoped for. The way to progress in windsurfing is through time on the water, and if you are struggling to get going, you just aren't going to get that important time.
So if you are more comfortable and confident on a slightly larger board, do it. The whole point is to have fun.
keep up the good work,
Ellen
Ellen Faller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 01:20 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Marek,
I completely agree with Ellen here.
The 5 cm wider Rocket may just get going enough earlier that you will find conditions more favorable and get accustomed to it more quickly.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 05:19 PM   #4
crazychemical

too bad about the carve. What where your problems? And in what winds were you sailing with what sails/weight?
no doubt the Rocket will help out a lot. These are the super freeride boards according to several board tests (except their footstraps i read). It's a good plan to learn the basics of difficult techniques on bigger volume boards on which u can stand if you need to and then only go to the smaller boards.
Also a good idea with the GTX. The remedy's are more free freeride sails. The GTX is good if you just want to blast fast and you don't tumble in the water every jibe. I have on full cambered sail, 8.8, which i only sail on my GO139 on hwich i'm sure i can uphaul the sail, waterstarting that big chunk of sail with it's camberes is possible but it's hellisch at times even with a 100% C mast.
Old 7th December 2008, 05:13 AM   #5
marek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychemical View Post
too bad about the carve. What where your problems? And in what winds were you sailing with what sails/weight?
no doubt the Rocket will help out a lot. These are the super freeride boards according to several board tests (except their footstraps i read). It's a good plan to learn the basics of difficult techniques on bigger volume boards on which u can stand if you need to and then only go to the smaller boards.
Also a good idea with the GTX. The remedy's are more free freeride sails. The GTX is good if you just want to blast fast and you don't tumble in the water every jibe. I have on full cambered sail, 8.8, which i only sail on my GO139 on hwich i'm sure i can uphaul the sail, waterstarting that big chunk of sail with it's camberes is possible but it's hellisch at times even with a 100% C mast.

Hi, thanks for your encouragement. The problem is actually with my local conditions rather than with my gear. If I had 50% time on 7.5 or smaller sail and 50% on my 9.8 I would probably be comfortable with C111 after this season.
The problem is that usually there is just enough wind to easily get going on 9.8 or on 7.5 but with better technique or (I guess) wider board.
So these rare moments I've been on my 7.5 and C111 I was either underpowered or I was struggling to uphaul it in chop after every jibe/tack (as I didn't have enough occasions to practice it). Also I had troubles getting upwind on this board (again, not enough practice) and each session was a "come back mission" from start to end.
My 7.5 GTX is a great sail and I like it a lot, but on my current level I need a stable board for it.
I decided it will be better to change the board and progress faster than to change GTX to a no-cam sail of the same size (given my gusty lake conditions).

I have to admit that C111 was great in chop and higher winds, which was the original reason I got it after F-type which was getting handful in such conditions. Carve was just cutting through the chop like nothing.
I'm wondering how much different will Tabou be in that department.
I'm also wondering if I will be able to use it with 9.8 (the manufacturer lists the sail range as 5.5-8.5m).

-marek
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 05:38 PM   #6
crazychemical

makes sence. Though as for the upwind thing: fins do make mroe difference on that aspect then you'd think. i had a crossover freeride fin at first with my freeride 113L board and it was worth nothing upwind (and had very little speed), but then i replaced it with a supercross fin and the board became an upwind machine with super controle. Ever since i onyl ride supercrosslike fins under my 113 L and slalom fins under my GO139. on both board, when planning, i have super upwind abileties.
I get why you'd get rid of a 111 L board if you can only sail it like 10% of the time. I got my 113 L board when i was only seeing big days 10 % of the time but i knew i'd be seeing mroe big days soon as i was getting my drivers licence and i'd be able to go out more often. Now i moved to holland to study and i only took my 113L with me and bought an additional 90 L and i'm sailing only on 15+ knt days else i'd neglect to study .
In the end, it's just about having a fun time on the water and coming back with a few good stories for your friends.
PS i don't know how much you weigh but it took me with my 90 K like 3 sessions before i got comfortable with the inboard settings of my 113L board as i couldn't uphaul on it. But once i got the hang of waterstarts and 'skating' (when i have just enough wind to stand on the board without sinking i take a skate position to keep the board from turning totally upwind) i just had to get good in the outboard settings and i was good to go.

hope you enjoy your tabou marek