Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 19th October 2008, 04:01 PM   #1
c4cfr

Default Complete Beginner

Hi

I have just moved to Hong Kong and live overlooking the bay, i was going to relocate my RS dinghy but costs prohibit that idea. So i thought i would take up windsurfing. Ive picked up the starboard brochure but need some help as the local shop were not that knowledgeable.

Im 5'10' and 70kg just turned 40 and very athletic and pretty fit.

I've booking some lessons and hope that my sailing experience will give me a head start.

Could you let help me select the right board and accessories to get started, i will be surfing mainly in the sea off the coast of Hong Kong and ideally would like something that i will not grow out of quickly. I liked the look of the Kode but apart from that i am completely open to your recommendations, something quick would be cool..

Thank you

Kind Regards

Chris
c4cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 05:01 PM   #2
crazychemical

welcome to the world of windsurfing firstly. Now as for boards: there are in the SB catalogue quite a few options to choose from HOWEVER, you are a complete beginner so it's quite complex. You basicly want to buy something almost all more advanced beginners want: a progression board. But since you've never windsurfed it gets harder. To the others i just yell: get a GO and get going, that board can be really fast (on the free forum there is a thread of a french guy going what was it? 35 knts or something on a GO 122). Your sailing experience will be a good help for you but windsurfing does contain a lot of aspects that differ from regular sailing so i don't know how fast you'll progress.
My recommendation is: take up a few lessons, see how fast you're learning and once you've had your first planning session, go shopping. If you're determined to buy right now i'd suggest the Rio. Not too fast but stable and fun at first. Or perhaps a larger Stat (though i find the starts absolute slugs on the water). The kodes are fun, but not when you're just getting into the sport, they are progression boards and considering hte conditions you'll be sailing in the better choice between the 2 progression boards that SB has to offer (GO and Kode tuffskin).

those are my thoughts of it. I'm sure Roger still has a few thing to add to it. As for rigs: no matter your level: Gaastra pilot. Very simple sails, very usable up to a very decent level (i'm, after 3 years of use, just starting to grow out of my pilot), and in the right wind very responsive. Along with a good 30 % mast and alu boom it makes for a good and economic rig.

have fun sailing (i unfortunatly wont, damn injuries)

CC
Old 19th October 2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi c4cfr,
What kind of windspeeds do you have there in Hong Kong?
What are the sea conditions where you intend to learn to windsurf?
Unfortunately, the "cross over" from dinghy sailing to windsurfing may not be
as easy as you think.
Take CC's advise, and get some good lessons on the basics.
Then depending on wind and sea conditions, look for something like a Rio
or Go to get you started easily when you have determined that you really do want
to windsurf.
The reason for the wider board is stability and the ability to get planing earlier.
If you have very light winds there, then the Rio (with a retractable center board) might be the way to go as sailing true shortboards (no centeboard) in sub planing conditions isn't going to be very much fun.
If you want a lighter weight board look at the larger Futura as they are the same basic hull shape as the GO and are quite fast and easy to sail.
The Kode TufSkin 122 might be OK to start out on after lessons on larger wider boards, but you will need at least 12 knots and a 7.5 m2 rig to get planing on the Kode 122.
The removable center fin could help in sub planing conditions, but it's too small to be of
any real value in staying upwind, and the board won't plane very well with the center fin installed.
A 122 liter board with a 70 Kg. sailor is going to be very tippy and a bit unstable right at first.
If you get good lessons and get the basics learned, then the Kode would make more sense.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote