Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 11th October 2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Joe

Default Front Foot Pressure

Hi Roger
I was sailing my ff158 with a sailworks 10.4nx3 last weekend (195lbs, 70cm fin, +/-10 knots some chop) and I had a really hard time keeping any front foot pressure when in the front strap, especially on the upwind.
I was wearing booties and I didn't bother to open up the straps so they were set a little tight.
My boom was at chin level. The mast foot was as far back as I can move it - I moved it to the middle but the lack of front pressure did not change much. My footstraps are front --> forward and inside - back --> back and outside.

Would moving my front straps back and outside help?

Any tips on 'adjusting' the weight on my feet to a more balanced stance?
When I previously sailed this board I noticed some lack of front pressure but not quite as much - only some when cranking upwind. This time it seemed to be present evn on a reach.

As always thankss for your help!
Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Front Foot Pressure

Hi Joe,
I'm not sure why you "want" more front foot pressure.
Are you trying to take some pressure off your rear leg?
Yes, I think for the max. performance moving all your footstraps as far outboard and back as possible, so try that first.
If you have too much back foot pressure you can change your boom height
and move the mast foot a bit more (just a bit) forward and perhaps move a little pressure off the rear leg.
Changing to a smaller fin can give you less rear foot pressure with better top speed and handling.
Learn to use your front foot to control the roll axis attitude of your board. Your front foot may be "loaded" but you may be pulling up rather than pushing across the board.
It almost seems you arn't getting all of your weight on the rig and this is
placing some weight on the rear foot that could be transferred up to the rig and forward as mas foot pressure to drive your board forward.
I'd really have to sail your exact setup to give you a more comprehensive answer than this.
Perhaps even a minor change in downhaul or outhaul could help your situation by moving the CE of your rig slightly.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote