Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th October 2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Rambo

Default training

I am a regional / national level surfer. I do slalom and formularacing. Last year I don't sail as much as I used to. Last weekend with a local race I had the biggest problems holding the boom with my hands. I have these problems espessially using longsleeve wetsuits and large diameter booms. Does anybody know if there is a good exersice for solving this problem? Do I need stronger mussles or longer mussles (stretching)?
Thanx, Rambo.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 12:08 AM   #2
crazychemical

a physiotherapist would recommend you do both. Do muscle training and before and after the excersizes you strech your muscles. I suggest you do hand and forearm excesizes to get the problem away. Your biceps/triceps get excesized enough just by training same as your ratator cuffs so i don't think you need worry about those.

hope this helps

CC
Old 31st October 2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Rambo

Thanx crazychemical,
What exersices do you suggest for hand and forearmtraining? Are ther some "to do at home" exercises? I think about a weight on a rope on a piece of a broken boom. Then turn the boompiece around till the weight is up. Other exercise; windsurfing without trapeze for half an hour? Any suggestions?
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 01:04 AM   #4
geo

First of all, go running. Cheapest and easiest way to keep basic fitness. You can do that whenever wherever. I would add some pullups if and where possible: forearms too, and mostly lats biceps and some deltoids, almost all you need when windsurfing apart from legs.
Of course more specific exercises will help a lot, but to me this is the basics. And of course, stretch every time you train.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 01:37 AM   #5
crazychemical

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ForeArmWt.html

it has a lot of excersizes for different zones of forearm and wrist. remember to strech before and after: strech your arm and pull your fingers towards you. This streches nearly all forearm muscles. If you do it to both sides offcourse (fingers via upperside towards you and via the bottom side (ventral/dorsal sides if thats any indication for you).
Old 31st October 2008, 08:10 AM   #6
Unregistered

Wear a short sleeve suite with a 1mm long sleeve mid layer.
Your arms wont pump up and yuo wil lbe able to grab the boom
Old 31st October 2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Unregistered

An exercise windsurfers used to do before was to take a bit of wood and put a piece of string down to the floor and tie it around a brick, then just wind it up and then, wind it back down to the floor, do it for about 30- 40 mins and your fore arms will be feeling much stronger. ( if one brick isnt heavy enough use something heavier)
Old 31st October 2008, 11:48 AM   #8
dan e

Try the Kettle Bell exercises. You can see videos at U Tube.
dan e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 10:48 PM   #9
Unregistered

buy a different suit, had the same problem, found a decent suit, now no problems
Old 1st November 2008, 12:52 AM   #10
Tomcat

Most important yet most neglected muscle group: AB'S. A strong core takes a huge load off your arms. Do crunches, crunches, and more crunches.

Wrist curls both overhand and underhand grip really help strengthen the forearms.
Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote