Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 3rd November 2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Daniel B

Default Slam Jibe

Hi Roger !
I am trying to learn the slam jibe.
I 've reading about this move, but there seem to be two diff approaches. One is to sheet in in the beginning, and the other is to sheet out slightly... That would be my first question, wich one is the right one ?
Second, when I initiate the jibe, I try to loose some speed by heading upwind and sheet out a little bit, then I place my back foot behind the back strap and on the inside rail, and through my body to the inside of the turn ... but the rail, in stead of sinking smoothly, makes the board to jump/bounce and that prevents me from doing the slashy carve I am suppouse to.
Thanks in advance !
Daniel
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 05:17 AM   #2
RonnieS

Don't think you have your weight far enough back...!

Best

R
RonnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Daniel B,
First, the Windsurfing School is more about the basics than fairly advanced moves like the Slam Jibe.
Also, there seems to be a few different interpretations as to exactly what a "slam jibe" is.
One interpretation is that it's a quick "sink/pivot" jibe. It's also called a snap jibe!
Snap Jibe : A jibe performed by heading upwind and aggressively standing on the tail and whipping the board around using the tail as a pivot point. Sometimes called the Pivot Jibe or Slam Jibe.
If this is what you are trying to do, check out this link.
http://www.continentseven.com/windsurfmove33.html
If you are trying to do some other type of slam jibe, perhaps you can describe it for us.
As far as your question, my guess would be that if your board is kinda "jumping up out of the water" you are "stomping" down with your back foot too hard/too fast.
This drops the tail suddenly and the board wants to shoot up out of the water.
From the little video clip, you can see that Chris P. gets everything set up, then presses down with his back foot pretty hard, but not so suddenly, this sinks the tail so the board can pivot around it. It's more that he brings his weight back onto the back foot and almost "pulls up" with his front foot, so it's more a "weight shift" than a quick pushing down with the back foot.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Daniel B

Hi Roger
I fully understand that this forum is more about basic moves.
Anyway thanks a lot for taking the time, the move you described is exactly what I would like to learn. And thanks for the link too
Regards
Daniel

Last edited by Daniel B; 14th November 2008 at 05:25 AM.
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote