Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd December 2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Unregistered

Thumbs up Futura 144 or 155?

Hi!
Looking forward to buy a new starboard Futura in the following next weeks, but donīt know which choice to make. Anybody (Chris Pressler!!??) to help? Favourite conditions are about 12 up to 20 knots (saltwater), Sail mostly a 7,5 Pryde V6. Iīm about 1,96m tall, weighing 85kg. To plane as early as possible....is ist better to chosse the 155 or the 144??
Thanks for yor help!!
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Chris Pressler

Hi,
thanks for your request. Your most used sailsize is the 7,5 m and your weight compared to your bodysize is light. I would suggest the FUTURA 144. If you really want to plan early you need a sail at which can get the boom relatively high. Wider a board gets highe the boom must be up. Your stance is wider outside. 79 cm width are fine and you will have alot of fun with bigger sailsizes like 8,5 - 9,5, too. If you really want to plan very early, around 10 - 12 knots, you really should grab a bigger sailsize.
If you write, my most used sailsize is the 9,0 I would recommend you the FUTURA 155 without any question.

Hope this helps,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Pryderider

Thumbs up

Thanks, Chris!! I know your right with your suggestions ībout the sailsize, but honestly....dontīt like these long booms. Had a 8,5 for several years, but it didnīt really help to plane at 10 knots - and handling.....in my opinion poor. So I decided to wait a few knots up to 12-13 and have a real easy "hangtime", planig and having fun up to 20-22 knots without changing sails. I also tendet to the 144 an now - I think Iīll get it. Would you suggest to use the original fin up to 20 knots or have a smaller one for those conditions? Up to what windrange do you think the 144 is easy controllable?
Old 4th December 2008, 02:35 AM   #4
Chris Pressler

No problem, pryderider. Guess you should stay with Drake R13 Race SL 480. Sure itīs cool to have some choices in fins for the near future, but the delivered fin will work fine.
Concerning bigger sailsizes: most of the new shapes have cutouts at the boomend and feel much shorter now.

All the best,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote