Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th May 2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Freestyle and wavesailing champs in AMERICA?

Hi all,

I was looking in IFCA website and PWA website about Wavesailing events and Freestyle events in AMERICA (Canada, USA, Central America and South America) but really cant find much info.

The only event is Freestyle Pro Kids in Bonaire...but no more.
US windsurfing website has no info on this and just a PWA event in Brasil "to be confirmed".

Any info?
Thanks
Ricardo Guglielmino
PERU
Old 8th May 2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Unregistered

Thumbs down The writing is on the wall.....

Duh...you answered your own question. Twice.

"really cant find much info. "

"has no info "
Old 8th May 2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Unregistered

It happens but is somewhat less organized.

from http://www.shawnrdavis.com/blog/
Windsurfing at Waddell
April 27th, 2008

The weather was amazing in San Francisco this weekend with sun and temps over 70 degrees every day. To take advantage of that and also due to the overall lack of any freestyle or wave windsurfing contests in the bay area this season, Whit Poor rallied a group of 11 sailors for an impromptu non-contest at Waddell. They ran a complete single elimination and losers round that ended up like this… 1st Whit, 2nd Bryce, 3rd Ian, 4th Arnot. Hopefully the idea catches on and we can get some events going again.
http://www.picyourshot.com/gallery/4...86279643_FyZbZ
Old 8th May 2008, 10:36 PM   #4
Unregistered

And why,

I see in Europe a strong Freestyle tour and a Wave PWA tour, still no IFCA wave tour.

But nothing in America. Maybe windsurfing associations or distributors or local promoters are not doing their job?

Ricardo
Old 8th May 2008, 11:01 PM   #5
Unregistered

Somebody really needs to teach Bill Gates or Warren Buffett to windsurf then you'd have sponsorship of US Events for the next 10,000 years.
Old 9th May 2008, 01:42 AM   #6
John Kerry

Red face

You missed your chance, America, four years ago, you could have elected me, a windsurfer. Do you think any of the current candidates are into windsurfing? Heck no, they're not even into bowling.
Old 9th May 2008, 05:18 AM   #7
pierrec45

Default Cod event

There used to be full-blown, all-encompassing event in the Cods.

Died a few years ago, see how/why there.

http://kingofthecape.com/

Fact is, we see freestyle and Tubes from Bonaire and Hawaii mainly, which is perhaps 1% of the locations and perhaps .1% of all windsurfers in North America. Rest is non-freestyle.

(There is still an event in the Gorge, I believe.)

I think there's a little more in Europe, from perusing the various sites ??
pierrec45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 12:27 AM   #8
madspaniard

Freestyle Frenzy in the Gorge and King of the Bay Freestyle in the San Francisco Bay (3rd Ave.) every summer
Old 11th May 2008, 04:45 AM   #9
jonthesailorman

They're just simply not enough windsurfers out there that push them selves enough to constantly improve. I everybody at least attempted freestyle once and a while, North America would be better off. I know that most windsurfers out of they're thirties probably have no interest in learning spocks and flakas. But for anyone out they're thats at least seen some freestyle before and thought to themselves "hey, that looks like it could be fun", should start going for 360's and vulcans! Freestyle is so much fun, its a shame not enough people give it a whirl. If they're was one kid doing freestyle at every windsurfing venue in America, then we might not have to import sailors from all over the Caribbean for every competition held on U.S. soil. my 2 cents.
Old 11th May 2008, 04:58 PM   #10
pierrec45

> not enough windsurfers out there that push themselves to improve

That's true, but I do respect their choice (which is going back and fro), but that's a bit sad. It's no wonder some get bored - actually have bored themselves - and switch to kite or drop.

> age

Age, be it 30 or any other, is not a reason not to go and try things. Not an excuse to not go have fun and dare do something different.

Very, very few try new stuff. I often get "I'm not into freestyle, I'm into speed". Yeah, right.

> America

Donno that it's here only, perhaps same in Europe?
pierrec45 is offline   Reply With Quote