Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 6th December 2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Waiting4wind

Talking Futura 133 as a performance board??

I'm trying to 'kill two birds with one stone' so to speak. My GF is progressing from a v large centre fin board. I was thinking about buying her an 08 Futura 133 which I could also use as a light wind board with a NP RS 9m sail. Will I find this board lacking given my smaller boards are Slaloms, including an 09 IS111.

Is the Futura performance reasonable or will I be disappointed after stepping off the Isonic? I don't like being overtaken!
Waiting4wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Chris Pressler

Hi Waiting4wind,
a bigger board is for sure a good decision and a 133 will carry the 9,0 very well. It doesnīt matter if itīs a Futura or an iSonic.
Sure I would suggest the iSONIC 133 as the number one decision out of my view. The Futura 133 is a freerider. Smaller the Futuras get, especially in the first year, more sporty they are. The 133 is at the entrance to the relaxed freeride feeling group of boards. The 122 and samller sized models are "more aggressive". Differences are in the width and lenght. The Isonic is much wider and shorter. These facts could speak for the Futura.
If you expect having a relaxed ride with good upwind and easy downwind performance, ake the Futura. For sure you will like to jibe with the Futura 133 very much. Perhaps you will like it more compared to jibing with the iSONIC 133.
In my opininon itīs a good choice to take the FUTURA, because you will wait less time for wind.

Hope it helps and you get my points of view,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 08:21 PM   #3
CarlosD

Send a message via MSN to CarlosD

Hi w4w,

As you will share your big board with your girlfriend, you should go to the Futura. I own a new IS133 2009, this board is a speed demon for its range but unlike the 2009 IS111 you own ( see our local beauty Maria 76 comments about IS111 on this forum from) itīs hard to ride for begginer / intermediate sailors. Well powered with 9.0 the 133 flies over the water but is not easy for a short boardīs begginner to keep the board under control at such incredible speeds.
The Futura is a much more confortable board with an amazing performance too when rigged as a big Slalom (good cambered sail, slalom fin and straps outside) and I guess that a 144 will fit better your GF and you than the 133 - more range for you and more floating for your GF-

I hope this could help

Good winds from the other side of the world

The motors:
Slalom: Code red 8.8 NP RSR 7.8/6.7 evo/6.2 evo NP RS6 5.4
Wave: NP zone 4.4 North Ice 4.7/5.3

The rider: Age 48 (yeah, I know, so old, but still on form)
Height 1,84 m
Weight 87 kg
CarlosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 02:52 AM   #4
Screamer

W4W

Well I'd say you'll find Futura lacking, from pure performance point of view (but it's the most "slalomish" of all the freerides on the market I believe).
Maybe you don't like being overtaken, but you also have a girlfriend to think about ;-)

Look at this from the bright side: think of all the excuses you'd have to concoct if your gf wasn't a windsurfer ;-)))))))

Last edited by Screamer; 7th December 2008 at 02:56 AM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 04:04 AM   #5
Maximus

Hey Carlos

I'm considering the I133 for next hear instead of I122. What sort of speeds have you been getting with the 133/9m combo? What wind range are you getting? I'm about the same weight as you. The 122/8.4 combo is very quick, however I get a lot of 8-10 knot days.

Cheers
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 06:04 AM   #6
Waiting4wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hey Carlos

I'm considering the I133 for next hear instead of I122. What sort of speeds have you been getting with the 133/9m combo? What wind range are you getting? I'm about the same weight as you. The 122/8.4 combo is very quick, however I get a lot of 8-10 knot days.

Cheers
Carlos also keen to hear your comments on the IS133 as you use some of the same sails I do, are the same weight and height......and the same age. I just hope you don't look the same......

Thanks guys for all the advice. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too with the shared board. But storage and transport is another motivator. All up I'll have 6 boards with the GF's board, so I'm hesitant to get another big board for myself. Mind you the IS111 has been performing reasonably well with a 9m although not a huge early planing advantage over the 7.8.
Waiting4wind is offline   Reply With Quote