Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 11th December 2008, 06:51 PM   #11
Farlo

Hi, this is the point. According to NP, not only the leech is reflexed but the whole shape is pushed forward, thus changing the lift/drag ratio. Does this help coping with very fast changes in wind direction (like happens in a gust) without adjusting sail's position AND improving that ratio at the same time? Or is it just for an enlarged wind range? Anyway we've seen such boom cutaway for some years now, from NP and other brands.

Last edited by Farlo; 12th December 2008 at 05:11 PM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 01:36 PM   #12
Wasp

Maybe this is worth trying?
http://www.peterman.dk/windsurf-flaps-up01.htm

Regards,
Wasp
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 09:37 PM   #13
Screamer

Let me remind everyone of some other Pryde revolutionary designs of a few years back: batwind leech and especially, Shear Tip (which broke the moment you touched anything with it).

Edit: agree with Geo, good points
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Papounet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Shear Tip (which broke the moment you touched anything with it).
Only on the RX1, Z1 & RX2 works well (-:
Papounet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 11:28 PM   #15
sergio k

NP inroduced a lots of new elements into sail design over the years, I see it as a good
thing, pushing the development forward benefits all (look at how many changes star-board
brought into board design...), some changes were not as good as some others,
(example: first isonics), but most changes when refined over few years actually made
sails much better (maybe not batwing...). For racing you want to go as big as posible
and be in control, dynamic clew might be change is in the right direction,
this race season will tell. (and BTW: I've never owned a NP sail).
On a diff notes, I'm quite excited about Loft intoducing RDM 490-550 for race sails
that could potencially solve the huge durability issues with race masts...
Old 19th March 2009, 02:47 AM   #16
Unregistered

guys, have you ever seen a photo of overpowered FW sail during racing? no? then look.
also I think that nobody of you ever tried to race on formula.

"s" shaping of straight foil part is already used on severne, gaastra and np (and was 3 years ago). north batens stays rigid and ns feels heavier in gusts. so everything is ok with concept. it works perfectly and without huge boom end cutout.
Old 19th March 2009, 08:05 AM   #17
Unregistered

nothing wrong with new concepts but if they don't work or suffer breakage problem then at who's expense ? ...the consumer! here are the prices of EVO11 in Aussie
4.7 $1689---5.1 -$1719---5.5-$1749---6.2-$1859---7.0-$1919---7.8-$2039---8.6-$2099
9.5-$2299---10.0-$2249 and 12m-$2789

Then you have to add on the cost of masts......I'm sure they will be a big seller
Old 19th March 2009, 02:10 PM   #18
Maximus

I agree NP have priced themsleves out of the market.

The next cab of the rank is the RS Slaloms which I have gone to now, and are great, however even those sails can be more expensive than race sails from other brands....

So unless you are PWA racer just stay away from the RS EVO II/X9, and buy RS Slaloms/X6, go just as fast, for almost half the price!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 11:49 PM   #19
Unregistered

"On a diff notes, I'm quite excited about Loft intoducing RDM 490-550 for race sails
that could potencially solve the huge durability issues with race masts... "

I'm exited too because NP and NS sorted out RDM's from their onshore wave sails. Radical wave sails has RDM, onshores are back to SDM. RDMs are too "floppy". RDM feeling is the same if you use 70 % carbon mast instead of 100.
I don't have opinion in this field, because never tried race RDM. Just comparing RDM vs SDM on wave sails.
Old 20th March 2009, 05:05 AM   #20
frgnrc

Smile New NP rs racing

I change my 9.0 rs racing 2008 for the evo 2 8.6: it is amazing! I tried yesterday with 15-20 knots, it works great control and balance and you can see the mouvment of the leech!
frgnrc is offline   Reply With Quote