Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 21st March 2009, 02:34 AM   #21
Unregistered

Default Get real

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
nothing wrong with new concepts but if they don't work or suffer breakage problem then at who's expense ? ...the consumer! Here are the prices of evo11 in aussie
4.7 $1689---5.1 -$1719---5.5-$1749---6.2-$1859---7.0-$1919---7.8-$2039---8.6-$2099
9.5-$2299---10.0-$2249 and 12m-$2789

then you have to add on the cost of masts......i'm sure they will be a big seller
you have got to be kidding!!!
Old 21st March 2009, 02:20 PM   #22
Unregistered

stick with the ISAF price fixed RSX for racing forget formula
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:35 AM   #23
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SeanAUS120

Those prices aren't entirely the fault of NP.

Last season we were buying Euros for 0.67c with an Australian dollar. Now we are buying 0.50c. All windsurfing kit will be considerably more expensive in Australia this year as nearly all gear not made in Australia is bought in Euros from the manufacturers.

That being said, do you want me to look up the price of a landed RSX in Australia right now? I'm pretty sure it would be MUCH cheaper to sail FW.
Old 25th March 2009, 02:36 AM   #24
Unregistered

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAUS120 View Post
Those prices aren't entirely the fault of NP.

Last season we were buying Euros for 0.67c with an Australian dollar. Now we are buying 0.50c. All windsurfing kit will be considerably more expensive in Australia this year as nearly all gear not made in Australia is bought in Euros from the manufacturers.
I doubt NP charges in Euros but most probably US$ which does not make things any either I guess.

Anyway apart from North which is as pricy other brands are not and it is not entirely their fault neither!!!!
Old 26th March 2009, 05:31 PM   #25
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SeanAUS120

Totally agree ... I wasn't making excuses for anyone, just pointing out the sad state of currencies of late ...

Can't comment on every brand, but 'most' brands and definitely NP changed to Euros 4-5 seasons ago because at the time the US dollar was quite volatile, but the Euro has remained relatively constant as a currency over that period .. so probably much better (safer) for them - although more BRUTAL for us Aussies :-/
Old 26th March 2009, 08:44 PM   #26
Unregistered

Wink local pricing.

neil pryde should be looking at the different market entry prices and adjusting for the local dollar .
So that countries that have a more volatile currency that drops in a given year dont get bashed.

its not like many aussies are going to say e bay a sail to some bloke in the usa dn make a killing.
With Canada,(which i am ) and the US however cross border deals are made all the time, it causes much consternation.
Old 27th March 2009, 04:33 AM   #27
Philip

Default Rigging tip

RS Racing sails seem to be made in small volume and are a serious bit of kit. Some people try them and can't get into the groove, but with patience the average sailor will find their effortless performance addictive. So good that I have retired my other lesser sails. I have a quiver of the previous model of these sails with X6 masts.

There is a rigging tip that may explain some of the failures. On one sail the bottom batten 'strings' (that locate the cam for rigging) were not correctly set up meaning that the cam did not sit square on the mast and either the cam breaks (best case) or you have a severe pressure point on the mast. On another other sail it was the top cam string that had to be adjusted. So i really pays to check those cams and ensure they sit properly on the mast before and during loading the rig with down-haul.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 05:56 AM   #28
Unregistered

Red face Strings and things

where can i find a process on how one is to adjust these strings???
thanks
francis D RRT ,
hamilton,
ontario, Canada
Old 27th March 2009, 08:07 AM   #29
Philip

Hi Francis,

I could find no instructions nor any recognition of the issue with the cams on any forum.

The cams are located during rigging and derigging by strings on either side looped (using the 'eye splice' knot) through holes in the mast side of the cam. The strings are anchored in the mast sleeve.

Determine which side of the string is overly tight, withdraw the mast and unpick that splice. Due to the tight working area within the sail sleeve what I do is to add in a length of brick layers nylon plaited string and recreate the loop using something like a 'bowline' or 'anglers' knot. I back this up with 'stopper' knots and ensure the ends of the strings are heat sealed (a lighted match will do the job and using a hot knife is even better).

I run mine slightly on the long side and handle the cam as the downhaul is applied to ensure it is seated properly on the mast. Also I keep an eye on what happens when derigging to ensure the cam does what it is supposed to in relation to the batten end and how far it pops out in relation to the sail pocket.

Sounds more complicated than it really is.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 10:59 AM   #30
nonopr

Have you guys seen how many people has seen this post. Almost 3,000 people. Neilpryde needs to read this website and make some changes somewhere. More bad news than goods in every reply.
Mr. Pryde listen and you will be again on top of your world, but if not already a few new companies have started to dig some holes in your future as the top brand in this industry.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote