Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 23rd December 2008, 07:49 PM   #11
Unregistered

Because you con only use one board racing in FW. Bit sailing a FW board in 20's is fun too, maybe not confortable, but fun.
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:01 PM   #12
mark h

because FW races could be in 7k or 30k winds, so knowing how to handle/set/trim in all conditions is vital.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 06:11 AM   #13
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Formula in 20 knots +

Why ????
I do not know, but I regularly watch Formula riders at Crissy Field (http://cams.exploratorium.edu:8010/1/control.html) and they use their monsters in 20 knots + 4-5 knots of ebb tide. Everybody else is out with 5.0's in the crazy chop.

How they do it is way beyond me but they seem to go fast and (probably) are having a lot of fun
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 12:43 AM   #14
Aco

Quote:
Formula in 20 knots +
Why ????
Because there is no faster Windsurfer on a Windward/Leeward course, even @ that windspeed.

Actually, in 20+ knots I have a hard time figuring ANY faster WW/LW sailing vessel...

With Kind regards,
Aco

Last edited by Aco; 25th December 2008 at 12:48 AM.
Aco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 03:42 PM   #15
Unregistered

Cool Formula in 20k + Forget it. !

And nobody has said they are most fun in those conditions. Come on sailing Formula in over 20 knots is like going to a brewery and not drinking. Get a wave / allround freeride anything but Formula for high winds.
Old 28th December 2008, 06:34 PM   #16
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SeanAUS120

A lot of people really like the challenge of sailing formula in +20 knots. I do. When you jump off your 10.0m in 30 knots onto your 6.7m/85l slalom board it feels like a toy.. sooo easy to gybe

@ Aco - there is no faster sailing boat around a W/L course than an FW board. I've seen top FW sailors beat an 18ft skiff around a course (albeit it was VERY close) and there isn't much faster boats than an 18ft'er in a breeze.
Old 29th December 2008, 07:49 PM   #17
carlosgp5

Default why formula?

Quote:
Formula in 20 knots +

Why ????
Ive got one answer also. While some people like to jump, other to surf, other to not be planning... Well I like to sail, as far in the ocean as possible. If you like that and can follow me with any other vessel than not a formula gear, I dare you to try. It would be a lot of fun.
carlosgp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 03:09 AM   #18
Floyd

Perhaps you should enter The Defi on your Formula kit !
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 02:16 PM   #19
Aco

Hi all.
Quote:
And nobody has said they are most fun in those conditions.
This is highly different between sailors:
for some of us (me included) it is a LOT of fun, even in those conditions.
Quote:
Come on sailing Formula in over 20 knots is like going to a brewery and not drinking. Get a wave / allround freeride anything but Formula for high winds.
For this one Carlos has exactly the point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosgp5 View Post
Ive got one answer also. While some people like to jump, other to surf, other to not be planning... Well I like to sail, as far in the ocean as possible. If you like that and can follow me with any other vessel than not a formula gear, I dare you to try. It would be a lot of fun.
Simply put - if you would like most % of planing time in variable wind conditions then NO other windsurfer beats a Formula.

For this reason when the forecast is iffy you will find me choosing Formula over wave/allround/freeride/freestyle anyday simply because to me planing is WAAAAAY MORE FUN than slogging.

With Kind Regards,
Acou

Last edited by Aco; 30th December 2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 30th December 2008, 02:27 PM   #20
Aco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAUS120 View Post
@ Aco - there is no faster sailing boat around a W/L course than an FW board. I've seen top FW sailors beat an 18ft skiff around a course (albeit it was VERY close) and there isn't much faster boats than an 18ft'er in a breeze.
To me 18ft Skiffs look like tough cookies:
maybe we beat them in a breeze, but as soon as the wind drops below approx. 12 kts it is probably game over (not to mention if it falls below the planing threshold...).

The Skiffs are waay more "allround" than Formulas:
they are highly competitive in all conditions, hich is why I have a high respect for them.

Apart form the skiffs, the other "problem" I could imagine are large (30m) multihulls (Cats/Trimarans):
I am not sure we would be able to beat them in ANY windspeed...

All the Best,
Aco