Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th December 2008, 03:34 PM   #21
Aco

Hi Floyd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Perhaps you should enter The Defi on your Formula kit !
Many sailors don't realize that Formulas (when in the right hands) are not slow at all in a breeze:
I am confident that an experienced sailor on a Formula would NOT come last at Le Defi.
And if the wind drops or shifts to create an unplanned upwind leg the story would become even more interesting...

On the other side, try to enter ANY Formula Regatta @ ANY windspeed with ANY other PLANING windsurfing kit:
we probably both agreee that you would be dead last, probably disqualified because out of the time limit.

To sum it up:
I believe that Formula is by far the most "adaptable" PLANING Windsurfer in terms of Sheer speed over a large range of conditions and points of sail.

You could of course say that it is physical/technical at it, but when it comes to have the highest AVERAGE speed (which is the one that wins) in variable conditions - well - I don't think anything comes close.

Of course just my opinion.
With Kind Regards,
Aco

Last edited by Aco; 30th December 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Aco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 05:14 PM   #22
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SeanAUS120

@ Aco - ok, yeap you're right. I wasn't including big yachts/tri's/cats etc in my comparison; as 18ft'ers are able to be raced on similar sized courses to FW, a maxi would struggle in a small lake for room probably! haha.

I think its around <14 knots or so where an 18ft'er starts to consistently beat FW boards around the course. We can attain similar straight line upwind speeds of around 14-16 knots in those winds however a FW board can't get the angle an 18ft can in the lighter winds. An 18ft can probably do <49 degrees in ANY wind, whereas an FW board doesn't get that tighter angle until 18-20 knots when its fully powered up on 11m.

I totally agree with you re the Defi on FW kit. We often have guys racing slalom in Aus on FW kit against dedicated slalom racers, and the straightline speed is not as slow as you would think for an FW board. Remember, the GPS speed records for FW are up around 32 knots average and were set on bumpy waters, not on speedstrips. Apart from the top guys, most average slalom sailors probably are only doing 34-37 knots average in a race ... so a FW would definitely keep up :-)
Old 30th December 2008, 06:05 PM   #23
Floyd

Talking

Nbody is decrying course speeds/ability in variable winds /VMG etc etc of Formula.Obviously they are fastest course racing board (overall) .

BUT
The original poster asked about sailing Formula in HIGH WINDS. If high winds existed all the time Formula Boards (as we know them) wouldn`t exist.Dont think you`ll even find a Formula board on Feurteventura !! Nobody even goes on water under 13 knots . Thats just how it is.I`m not saying good or bad its just fact.

In 20 knots + Formula are probably not the fastest boards out there ! (yes its debatable ) and they are definitely NOT the most fun in 20 knots +.(If they are why are 99% of sailors sailing freeride/wave etc etc when it does blow !!!)
Having fastest VMG on a board is completely missing point.Its like saying best surfer is fastest. Yes its nice to race but look at numbers involved with racing. It represents a tiny proportion of WS.
My advice to anyone
If you have 20knots + dont use your Formula. Go and enjoy yourself. Jump /gybe /play/Wave ride /forget racing. Life`s too short.!
(Sort of like 99% of sailors)
(Besides I`m too old to carry a Formula down beech)
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 09:51 PM   #24
Unregistered

Why people bother so much about what kind of board someone sail? Sail whatever you want. If you wnat to sail a formula board in 800kts, that's fine. If you like slalon boards in 10kts, that's fine too. If you like wave boards more than other boards, that's ok.
The important thing here is to be on the water and have fun whatever board you sail.
Peace, good winds, happy new year for everyone, wave sailors, formula sailors, slalon sailors, freestyle sailors, all sailors in all kind of sailcrafts all over the world.
Old 31st December 2008, 02:51 AM   #25
Unregistered

Cool

Because they asked for advice !!!
Old 31st December 2008, 05:24 PM   #26
Unregistered

They asked for advice on how to sail a formula board in high winds, not what board to sail in high winds.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:43 PM   #27
Unregistered

Unhappy

And probably the best advice is to sail someting else !!! (And enjoy it !)
Afterall 20 knots is arguably best wind possible for WS; if you are on right gear !
Old 1st January 2009, 12:50 AM   #28
Ken

For me, 20 knots is perfect for:

bump an jump on a 105L board and a 5.7
or
slalom on an iS111 and a 6.5
or
formula on a F160 and an 8.5 or 9.2

All are fun & exciting and I do all three in 20 knots, it just depends on how I feel that day.

Chasing keel boats and cats on a formula board, and sailing circles around them upwind and downwind is a kick. You can't do that on a slalom or bump and jump board.

I do what I enjoy, regardless of what others think should or shouldn't be done.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 01:23 AM   #29
Unregistered

Unhappy

How do you make your mind up ???
Old 1st January 2009, 01:41 AM   #30
Aco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
For me, 20 knots is perfect for:

bump an jump on a 105L board and a 5.7
or
slalom on an iS111 and a 6.5
or
formula on a F160 and an 8.5 or 9.2

All are fun & exciting and I do all three in 20 knots, it just depends on how I feel that day.

Chasing keel boats and cats on a formula board, and sailing circles around them upwind and downwind is a kick. You can't do that on a slalom or bump and jump board.
Well said - all of it.
I agree with everything, especially with the last sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I do what I enjoy, regardless of what others think should or shouldn't be done.
I would only add that while in 20 kts all you mentioned is fun, in 10 kts only one is - and we all know which one

This is the main reason I use Formula in variable conditions and smaller board only in stable winds - except during the winter (i.e. right now ) when I use Formula all the way to keep dry

Fair Winds,
Aco

Last edited by Aco; 1st January 2009 at 01:48 AM.
Aco is offline   Reply With Quote