Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd October 2006, 07:13 AM   #11
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Starboard Gemini availablility

Hi Jeff and o2bnme,
I'm not sure where we'll have it on the new website, but I've had a fairly up to date calendar on the Start Windsurfing and Sailworks websites for the last 3 or 4 years.
We are collecting dates and shop interest at the moment, and as soon as we have anything solid, we will make it known.
All I know at the moment is that I plan to be in Panama City on Nov. 4th and 5th for a 2 day demo event with Larry and Patrice at Hydrotherapy.
We are trying to schedule soem events later in Nov. perhaps early Dec. in Tarpon Springs/St. Pete.; Sarasota; and Sanibel Causeway, but that's between those who fund these trips and the shops/clubs that do the local infrastructure and planning.
Serial # 001 Gemini already looks like it's been around the block a bit, but it rides just fine.
You do not want to hear the story about the Gemini and the LAX baggage transfer machine. Guess they had to disassemble some of the machine about 3 floors up to "rescue" the Gemini as it didn't want to go around one of the corners. One can only wonder about the person making the decision to put it in the automated baggage transfer machine vs just running it gate to gate on a baggage truck?
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 11:08 AM   #12
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi All,
A little update on the Gemini.
Bill (o2bnme) and I took the Gemini out at the Canadian Hole here in Hatteras this morning.
It was blowing around 20 knots, so we put identical 4.8 m2 Sailworks Huckers on the Gemini and set off to see what the Gemini can do in higher winds.
Well, it sure goes. We hit 24.7 mph on Bill's wrist mounted GPS and probably could have gone even faster with a little more practice and coordination between us. We had never sailed together (for sure not on a tandem in semi-nuking conditions) so I think there was a little reluctance to "send it" regardless of consequences.
I piloted the Gemini (the pilot goes in the back here sort of like a biplane) the first few runs and we were able to tack and jibe it fairly well but it's a bit more difficult when it's windy than when it's 12 knots.
We came in and Bill became the pilot and we went back out and did around the same speed.
It was cool when the wind slacked off a bit. The Gemini with (2) 4.8 m2 Huckers kept on planing while most of the sailors on < 100 liter boards were kinda slogging.
Then I took the Gemini out with just one 4.8 m2 rig and it needed a little "pumping" to get it going (it&#39;s 372 cm long and weighs around 40 lbs.) but once it got planing, it went quite well.
The wind gusted up over 20 knots and I tried going upwind all the way back in the rear footstraps, but the nose was WAY up out of the water and I could feel the wind getting under it. Just the thought of having the whole thing take off skyward and get blown back over was enough to cause me to move forward about 6" from the back footstraps which seemed to knock the nose down. Next time I&#39;ll move the mast foot well forward in the center mast slot to keep the nose down better.
I hope someone got some photos of the Gemini.
Looks a bit like an aircraft carrier at full speed.
It was a whole lot of fun, and I was pretty impressed with the way it simply "blasted over" the small chop, giving a very comfortable ride in both tandem and single rider modes.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 08:26 PM   #13
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Thanks Roger for coming out to Canadian Hole for me. What a great weekend I had!!

All that&#39;s left is to try the Gemini with my wife and see if she likes it. I&#39;m sold. I had a blast. Here are my impressions...

First off, my wife is legally blind. She can see shapes and some days even recognize store signs. But she can&#39;t see well enough to see boats coming at her or figure out where the dock is to get home. So, the concept of the Gemini is perfect. We can go sailing together (with me in back) and get her to get that sensation of speed -- you know, the one we all felt and have been hooked ever since. And she can go in back with me telling her where we are going, so she is actually driving the boat.

So, while Roger and I were figure out how to sail the Gemini in high winds, I was busy closing my eyes and seeing how stable the board is. We have a winner! It was just what I was looking for. At one point, I had my eyes closed for a minute and a half. The board is so stable you don&#39;t even realize you are in pretty rough waters. That was the key test, did I need to worry about how stable the board was at speed... NO.

On our first tack, I was too busy figuring out how things work on a tandem that I forced up way downwind. We tried to sail with the centerboard down, but with that much wind, we found we got more VMG if we left it up. The speed difference was very noticeable. And you really didn&#39;t lose much angle either. It didn&#39;t take us long to get back to basecamp. So, that was the second test, do you have the ability to go anywhere on the lake. YES!

So, I&#39;m sold. This will be a great board for my wife and me. I am very excited. Now to get a windsurfing trailer large enough to carry it. ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote