Old 27th December 2008, 04:16 AM   #1
Sten

Default Which wave board?

Hi,

I'm going to buy a starboard wave board but i don't know which one to choose since i have never tried any starboard before ,so i need help choosing the right one and also the right volume. I would use the board in all kinds of conditions for sail sizes 4.0 and 4.5 mostly (i weigh 74-76 kg).I will also buy a separate fin for the board , which fin would you recommend for high wind conditions and wave riding ? please help ,thank you!
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 04:53 AM   #2
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten View Post
Hi,

I'm going to buy a starboard wave board but i don't know which one to choose since i have never tried any starboard before ,so i need help choosing the right one and also the right volume. I would use the board in all kinds of conditions for sail sizes 4.0 and 4.5 mostly (i weigh 74-76 kg).I will also buy a separate fin for the board , which fin would you recommend for high wind conditions and wave riding ? please help ,thank you!
I have a Acid 74 that I like quite a lot, however for my weight (72Kg) it starts to get too big in sub 4.2 conditions. the Kode 74 is a little bit smaller then the Acid, and you can probably get away with it, but if you mostly use it in sub 4.5 a better choice might be the Kode 68.

Unfortunately I have no experience with the new twin fins and he Evos, I am sure other will reply plenty ...
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

Sten:

Davide is on the right track here. While I personally think the Acid 74 and current Kode 74 is OK with a 4.0 (I weight 70) I also think that if you will not use above 4.5 you will be even better off with the Kode 68. The reservation is if you often sail gusty conditions, then the reserve size of the Kode 74 will prove valuable.

The Kodes are all excellent all round boards that both handle full on wave sailing as well as flat water blasting. If you looking for a board for only wave sailing you can also look at the EVO 70 and 66 and Evil Twin 70. Just ask if you want more info on how these will compare to the Kode. Maybe you can then give som more info on the conditions you sail.

Fins: the Kode 68 comes with a 21cm Drake Natural. Either a 20 (which is a super small fin, the Naturals are small for their size) or the 22 would be good complements for 4.0-4.5.
The Kode 74 comes with a Natural 22. A 20 would be a good complement for nuclear days. You will not need bigger than 22 for 4.5.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Sten

I'm looking a board for wave sailing only. The conditions i will ride in will be side- to side-onshore with logo to mast high waves mainly 4.5 but also 4.0 and 5.0. I was close to buying the EVO 70 but i started to doubt if it will be good in spots like Maui for wave-riding so i though the Evil Twin would be better but i don't know how it works for jumping...
So:
Conditions: wave sailing only ,mainly side-onshore
Sail sizes: 4.0 -5.0
My weight : 74 kg
Old 28th December 2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

OK. Then you surely want to consider all the options. First, if you're gonna include 5.0 I think you'll be better off with someting bigger than fx Kode 68 or EVO 66. Both can handle 5.0 but if you don't have a bigger board to cover up light wind stuff or if you're not a particular low volume fan I think a slightly bigger board will serve you better overall.

The EVO 70 that you already considered is for sure a great choice. Even though volume is quite low it is still an excellent and super stable board for schlogging (important in places like Maui). When you sail it right (use mast foot pressure to stabilize the rail) if is also very stable and secure in big fast waves. Yet it still performs fantastic, almost like on auto pilot, in smaller waves and onshore and is super loose off the top. At 74 kilos it will handle 4.0 to 5.0 very well.

The Kode 74 offers a different feeling - a more "natural" stability in longer turns and a more distinct rail to rail feel and the bigger the waves and the more side shore, the more it will come into its own. In smaller waves and side-on you will need more technique and drive to make it go vert.

Among the Evil Twins both the 74 and 70 are valid options. They are close tot the EVOs in general feel, but the twin fin concept makes them require evel less drive to get them on rail and enter the turn. So the sailor kind of becomes quicker in the bottom turn entry and can stay closer to the wave. Then you have the special twin fin feel when you turn off a steep face and also generally a more forgiving top turn. Both 74 and 70 will handle 4.0 to 5.0, the 70 maybe being a bit more manageable with a 4.0. The size differerence between the two boards are rather small though. it is more that the 70 is even more "vert" and loose while the 74 has a tad more drive for longer turns. No worries in jumping the ETs. You do loose a bit of fin drive coming up the wave, this is something you'll quickly adjust to. But if you are super particular about the take off feel, you might go for an EVO or Kode.

Personally (70kg) the EVO 70 has been my fav all round board for years for both Sweden and Maui. But this year I've almost only used the ET70 and this is also the board I will bring to Maui this year. If you're intrigued by what twin fins boards can offer, the ET70 is for sure worth a shot.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 11:01 PM   #6
Sten

Thank you Ola , your answer helped me alot ,i think i'm gonna go with he ET74.