Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 6th January 2009, 02:48 PM   #21
Unregistered

Cool

Then how come everybody(well nearly) who posts on here uses 9`s (or 10`s and 11`s) in 30 knots. (read recent posts !)
There is a lot of BS about sail sizes and especially claims about windstrength sailed in.
Old 7th January 2009, 01:30 AM   #22
Per

Well sail size isn't really that interesting. Some of the 9.0 or 10.0 racesails for formula sailing in high winds have an extremely loose leech and are seriousely downhauled to work as they are designed for: pointing like h... in heavy winds on a big wide board. They may compare with ordinary 6.5 rigs in power and planing. Again the guys who go on 9.0 sails in 30 knots do it because they need it - to win a race where the last few degrees on pointing are crucial -. Nobody else need to, and everybody else will probably have a better ride on their far smaller gear.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 04:11 AM   #23
Unregistered

Cool

And Per
How many of us could really use 6.5`s in 30 knots of wind.
I cant; mates cant.Antoine possibly .
But loads on here can !!!
I`d be on 4.2 in 30 knots.(easily)
Old 7th January 2009, 06:09 AM   #24
Unregistered

Default units of measure

maybe people are mixing up apples n oranges

30 knots = 34 mph = 55 kph !!!!

you would not catch me near the water with anything more than 4.x
and even @ that - you better be damn good
one small swell and all the stuff practically blows away

how could anyone waterstart never mind hold something large > 6 in winds like that $%^&*(
Old 7th January 2009, 04:23 PM   #25
Floyd

Talking

At last some reality on Forum.
Last 2 posters stick your nams on !!!
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 05:17 PM   #26
Kato

No one,s mentioned the water state. In flat water you can hold down a much larger sail than in open water. 6.6 in 30kts is quite possible. For me (78kg) a 5.8 on a small board is a lot of fun in 30-40kts flat water
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 08:15 PM   #27
Per

In steady 30 knots (I translate that to 15 metres per second which is what we use in Denmark, or short - a gale) I (97 kgs) would prefare a 4.7sail. I've never had a smaller sail. Anyway I know lots of slalom sailors for whom a 6.5 is the smallest they have. I don't say it makes sense to me to use a 6.5 in 30 knots but in some disciplines (serious racing) some guys seem to carry very (unrealistic) big rigs. I have a mate who is a former national champion (junior) in formula sailing. His prefared rig for 25 - 30 knots is a Severne code red 10.0. When he comes blasting on this monster I may be struggling with my 6.5 or comfortably on my 5.75. He doesn't have fun but he wins races... A lot depends on the saildesign. If you made a 10.0 with the same shape as a freestyle sail, nobody would be ably to carry it in 20 knots.

Last edited by Per; 7th January 2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:12 PM   #28
Ken

Per makes good points.

I have raced formula in 25-30 knots on a 6.6 (pros were on 9 & 10 meter sails). Since I am an amature, I would never choose to play or practice on my formula board in 25 to 30knots. In that wind, I would normally be on 4.0 or 4.5 on my 80 L board.

Body weight, skill and water conditions and type of board determine which sail to choose. I weigh 79 kg, but if I weighed 90 kg, I probably could have handled an 8.5 in the 25-30 knots on my formula board and 5.0 or 5.7 on my short board.

I also have adjustable outhauls on all my sails from 6.6 - 11.0. This clearly helps with the range of winds that I can manage on one sail. Throw in more or less downhaul and you have even greater sail range.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 01:45 AM   #29
Unregistered

Talking

Ken
In theory.Like the Tiatanic was unsinkable !
Old 8th January 2009, 02:21 AM   #30
Per

In the latest UK "Windsurf" magazine there's an article about Guy Cribb (very pro - medium weight) and Antoine Albeau (seriousely pro and heavy) who cross the English channel on slalom gear.
Windspeed is 25 knots. Waterstate is very rough. Albeau consider this 7.2 weather and Cribb 5.0 weather. They agree on a compromise on 6.7 and 5.8 sails for the crossing not to seperate too much. The crossing takes six hours on the same tack (not for kids). They use 110 and 111 litre boards with 30 and 40 cm fins...
I guess that in 30 knots over a short distance their sails could have been like 6.5 and 5.2. Just guessing, and these guys aren't ordinary.

Last edited by Per; 8th January 2009 at 02:25 AM.